Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Among my full sized knives, I now only use my chef’s knife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had my chefs knife for the last 35 years. Still serves me well. I also have a boning and a slicer. That is all I need

Comment

When we got married, we got a knife block with a set of knives. It didn't have a santoku, but they were the hot thing back then, in 2005, so I got one to fill out the block.

I've added a few knives in the ensuing 17 years... a long slicing knife with grantons. A Misen chef's knife. A nice boning knife. A serbian chef's knife.

Over time, some knives that used to be heavily used have been relegated. The cleaver was basically my chef's knife for a few years, as the high profile made thin slices easy and safe. I used the santoku a lot for a while. But now, 17 years in, I have my favorites:

1- Misen Chef's Knife. If I had to have one knife for all eternity and only one knife, I think this would be it.
      2- Viking boning knife. Like a filet knife, it's for all the trimming work.
      3- Victorinox 12" Slicing knife. It does what it does better than the chef's knife, but it doesn't really do anything else.
      4- Bread knife.

Which isn't to say that I don't break out the Serb, but it's mostly for rough dice and giggles. And I have to remember it exists, because it doesn't sit in the knife block.

I would cull my knives, maybe replace some of them with nicer knives, but my wife likes to use 4 other knives that aren't any of my favorites, so I'm a bit stuck. She would probably love a nice nakiri, but getting her to use it and admit it is another project entirely.

Comment

For past many years, my chop duty has been shared by an 8" chef knife and a 5" santoku. About six months ago I added a 7" rocking santoku to the mix. It has taken most of the chops since and I have grown quite fond of it. The chef knife gets pulled if I feel I need the bigger blade or if I am cutting dense veggies like beets or sweet potatoes. I like having the choice to use any of the three and I will dirty all three of them and enjoy ever second of it. I even enjoy the clean up.

Comment

I've got a couple 8 or 9 inch breaking/utility knives that get a lot of use (one's an old Chicago Cutlery I found at Goodwill) beyond my paring, boning, and chef's knives.

Comment

Never forget, a paring knife is extremely useful when you have an odd number of people over for dinner: 7 guests, 6 steak knives….

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here