Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I sharpen my brisket slicer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I sharpen my brisket slicer?

I am looking for suggestions on sharpening my new Dalstrong Shogun Brisket Slicer for the first time. It looks like it only has an edge on one side. Does that mean I should only work one side when sharpening for the first time (and every time) or do I work both sides until there are two edges? Any suggestions from someone with experience would be much appreciated.

Paging ILMsmoke This man should certainly be able to help you.

Comment

I have a shogun and it is dual bevel. I sharpen everything with a worksharp ken onion edition these dsys.

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on the Ken Onion Worksharp. Game changer for me.

I pull that bad boy through my electric.

Comment

Is one side flat or concave with the other side having a bevel? If so, you work on the beveled side until you can feel a slight burr on the flat side and then carefully work on the flat side to remove the burr.

Japanese knives of this type are often slightly concave on the flat side to make it easier to remove a small amount of metal while deburring.

Comment

Exactly which Shogun slicer do you have? I checked one out on the Dalstrong site and it has an 8 deg bevel on one side and a 12 deg on the other. Other models might be different, so you need to know exactly which you are sharpening.

If it's THIS ONE, then Dalstrong does indeed say it's an 8/12 deg double bevel.
          Last edited by MBMorgan; March 21, 2022, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! That would be tricky to sharpen and might need a professional. I've not seen a home sharpener that can set those angles.

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris - I use an EdgePro Apex that could do it. I’m sure there are others, too. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be tricky … but it should be possible.
            Last edited by MBMorgan; March 21, 2022, 08:55 PM.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I just put a double 15 on mine. Doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.

These guys do a great job at a great price if you want a pro: http://www.burrbenders.com
          They are local to me but do lots of business by mail.

Comment

Probably a deliberate design: https://kitchenknifeplanet.com/pros-...e-bevel-knife/

Comment

If it were mine, I'd probably sharpen it like a single bevel ... 12 deg on one side with the stones and just use a ceramic hone on the 8 deg side.

FWIW, If you sent the knife to EdgePro, I'm guessing that they'd just set up two Apex sharpeners ... one set to produce the 12 deg bevel and the other to produce the 8 deg. Much less fiddling required than trying to do it all on a single sharpener.

If you go to their site ( https://www.edgeproinc.com ), there are a ton of really good videos and I'd bet there's at least some info there on how to approach the job.

Comment

Yes, by your description it IS a single bevel knife & should be treated thusly. DO NOT try to convert it to a double bevel. Do a little homework and find out how you are to treat that knife, it is special. I question the need for sharpening. How long have you had it & how much have you used it. I would think you only need a honing from a strop or ceramic rod. A handful of briskets is not going to dull a knife, daily use might, but that’s after a few weeks.
                Last edited by FireMan; March 22, 2022, 12:03 PM.

Comment

The short answer is it's tricky. You sharpen it to as close to a zero angle on the flat side of the blade and then you remove the burr on the serrated side with a diamond tapered file. There's a few other ways to do it, but this seems to be the easiest to explain. There's a few places that make tapered wheels for my Tormek to do these, but they're $330-$500. Edge Pro creator Ben Dale has a great video on there site of how to do it.
                  Last edited by ILMsmoke; April 3, 2022, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here