Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can one test-handle knives in person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can one test-handle knives in person?

Hi all, been looking to upgrade our knives in the not too distant future and have been reading lots of threads here, especially the recent ones by Panhead John on his new Wusthof set, in which a great wealth of advice was offered. One of the common themes (there and elsewhere) is to get a feel for the blades before deciding which to buy, because how it feels in the hand is obviously very important.

Question is, where can one go to do that these days? Your basic big box stores have poor selections (e.g. Bed Bath Beyond stocks only Henckels/Zwilling apparently) and typically the knives are in packaging that prevents both shoplifting, understandably, but also prevents holding it in one's hand. I haven't been able to find a specialty shop for such things in my area either.

So where do y'all go to test-handle knives? Thanks!

Before I bought my Shun knives, I test drove several species of knives at the local Williams Sonoma store. The Shuns fit my hands the best.

Kathryn

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine too.

An actual brick and mortar store!!!!

I would go to a high-end department or kitchen store in your area. They will let you take them out of the box. If not, go somewhere else. Most places will be happy to let you handle the knives before you buy them.

If I am dropping that kind of money on something I am going to have for a long time, I want to try it out first.

Comment

Sigh. Another of my addictions. If you're open to Japanese knives... go here https://www.districtcutlery.com I actually don't like how their site is organized but the shop has a great rep. They have other knives but not the big brands. Bascially, look for a knife shop.

Before you go, think about what you want in a knife - how you use it what bugs you vs not, etc. For example, if you cut a lot of larger, dense veggies (squash etc) or even carrots, wedging (getting stuck in the veggie) is annoying. Do you do that a lot or hardly at all? Do you break down meat much? Or not. etc... From there on it's mostly balance and handle feel. But, basically, try to narrow down what you live and what you do so you're not just saying "uh... I want a knife". Also, of course, think about price.

Comment

Hi folks, thanks for the suggestions. I had totally lost lock on the very existence of department stores...! Been so many years since I last visited one (I stopped being a fan of malls decades ago), I'd plumb forgot there even was such a thing. anymore There are plenty of high-end dept stores in these parts, just outside the nation's capital. One of the "galleria" style upscale malls also has a Sur La Table kitchen store, which carries several lines of knives including Wusthof. So I should have at least some options for in-person research.

I do have a fairly good idea of which types of knife we'd like to upgrade, so I'm good there. And I definitely understand about doing online ordering and returning things if they don't work out -- I buy all my guitars that way! Most quality knives have a robust guarantee policy, so if it comes to that, I can deal.

One decent fact is that regardless of where you buy Wusthof blades, the prices are the same everywhere, including directly from them. So it's not like I'd have to pay a brick & mortar premium if I decide that's the brand for us. But I'm far from that decision. I want to check out more modestly priced lines, like the Mercers or perhaps the Dalstrongs.

Like I said, this isn't anything that's going to happen immediately, going to take our time. We have a few old forged Henckels that are getting us through for the moment, so it's not a totally desperate situation

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          If you like the feel of your Henckels, but want a pretty nice knife at a budget price I really liked the hand feel of Misen's chef knife, though the sharpening angle was a bit funky for me to keep with a stone. Not bad at all with an electric sharpener. I also really like the feel of the Dalstrong Shogun series. The both feel similar but have a hybrid Western and Eastern cutting motion in my opinion. I'm no knife expert though.

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory - Of the knives we currently have, only four are forged, the rest stamped. The forged ones are fine, and I have a Ken Onion Work Sharp and keep them quite keen. So we're looking to replace the stamped ones and maybe double up on one of the forged sizes we have now.
          Last edited by DaveD; February 22, 2022, 06:18 PM.

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on the Misen, I've got the OG version from before they added more belly to the blade and changed the sharpening angle. For the price it's hard to beat, fits my hand very well & stays sharp for ages.

Artisan Knife Services (703) 539-2491

Knife Sharpening, Union Market, Japanese Knife Sharpening

Sur La Table (They have some higher end knives, and will let you handle them.) They normally have someone with some knife knowledge although that person might not be there all the time.

Comment

Since you aren't going to find yard signs saying, "Come in and fondle my knives".. If you are only interested in ones you can fondle in advance of buying... You are either going to have to go to high end dept stores., specialty knife shops, or plan on visiting various Gun/Knife shows... While a lot of Gun/Knife shows have knives that are made by the guy in the both, they will have others that sell the high end commercially available knife you are probably interested in buying..

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            I almost want to put said sign in my front yard just to be a jackass... but I'm kind of worried about the sort of people that would show up at my house

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            This is an underrated option. You might not get the best deal there but you will find a lot of hands on options if its a decent sized show. I hate using places for research with the intent of buying elsewhere for a better price but if the difference is enough ill deal with it.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here