Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making hand made knives in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making hand made knives in Japan

This couple even makes their own steel - most knife makers don't. Once the steel is made, the rest of the process is similar even if the smith buys their steel.

I love watching blacksmithing. I also love my japanese knives. The very first time I used my Yanagi I cut the whole tip off my thumb. Nail and all. I didn't even feel it happen, it was so sharp. I'm now many times more careful.

Comment

That was a great watch, I would say that I'm worried about traditions like this or farming dying out, but there's been a "massive" resurgence in the US, UK, and Japan for learning and earning a living on the old ways. Japan is the most at risk though of losing these traditions, the top smiths have a tradition of only having 1 or 2 apprentices and some of the smithing requires a lengthy unpaid apprenticeship, but the government has supposedly started subsiding some of these historic apprenticeships.

Comment

Wow! I was absolutely mesmerized. What a great video - thank you for posting this. They are truly the epitome of the crafts person/artist and it was a joy to watch them perform their craft.

Comment

Watched the entire video in amazement........Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Excellent Video. I'm putting in a link to a video made by a Canadian Knife Store that specialized in Japanese knives, also a good watch. Springhammer

this is the second video Springhammer 2

Hope my links work!

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              They work, and you just took up my evening I learned new things, my favorite! Never seen the fishing with birds thing. And I really like the guy that's like "I hate this job, but I'm going to be the best at it"

• Davek8282
              Davek8282 commented
              Editing a comment
              If I had the budget could spend a fortune at Knifewear Stores. Good think I'm 8 hours minimum away from one of their locations so only make occasional visits. On line does not do a hand crafted Japanese knife justice.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here