Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decent Knife Sharpener Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent Knife Sharpener Suggestions

We have a drawer full of various kitchen knives that all need sharpening other than by steel. I would appreciate your ideas on what brand or model you have experience with.

The good ol' wet stone a couple of times a year, then a rub on the steel every time you use it

Comment

The Work Sharp Professional Electric Kitchen Knife Sharpener is an angle-guided sharpener that uses flexible abrasives, controlled speeds, and timed sharpening cycles to shape, sharpen, and refine all your kitchen knives at the touch of a button. The angle guides provide precision and repeatability to ensure fast and accurate sharpening. Flexible belt abrasives conform and sharpen your knife to a factory level of sharpness. Quickly choose between the three sharpening programs to Shape, Sharpen, or Refine your knife’s cutting edge at the touch of a button. The programs automatically adjust speed and shut off when your process is complete. The elegant design looks great on a kitchen counter or can easily be stored in a drawer or cabinet to free up your valuable counter space.

Comment

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        I have that Worksharp E5 as well. Definitely don't use it as often as I should but it is simple to use and does a good job. Probably not as good as properly using a wetstone but for 95% of home cooks it will be great.

• leol2
        leol2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have this sharpener too and don't like it. Maybe I am not using it right but the results have not been that good for the money,

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        leol2 That’s very surprising as popular as it is and how much it is like the Ken Onion too, just dedicated and simpler for kitchen knives. You might watch a couple of Worksharp’s videos or reach out to their support. I bet they’d help you out with concerns.

I use a Chefs Choice sharpener. I think they are indispensable. Sharpen razor sharp. They make them for just about every kind of knife. Here is one example of one:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/pr...%3e%20Electric
      Last edited by lostclusters; July 1, 2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        I have this sharpener and I thought it was a good one but I saw a review recently on project farm on you tube and it did not score very well. I have since bought a wet stone.

I love the Ken Onion sharpener! It works great!

Comment

If it is still valid the code Meathead30 gets you 30% off worksharp products on their website. Great sharpeners at a great price.

Comment

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        Donw and Panhead John FYI Chatted with a lady at Worksharp and she got back to me and said the 30% discount expired last December. They have no other discounts at this time.

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Clark Sorry to hear that the code has now expired.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Well that sucks. I’d tell them that they have a lot of potential customers here at AR who might buy from them. And also, since they don’t have the $149. model available anymore, they should give you some kind of discount since they’re basically forcing you to buy the $199. model.

Originally posted by lostclusters View Post
      I use a a Chefs Choice sharpener. I thick they are indispensable. Sharpen razor sharp. They make them for just about every kind of knife.
      I have a full set of whetstone's I used to use. I was given a Chefs Choice for Xmas:

I tried it - and it works great! I still strop after running the blades through the Chefs Choice. Gets a fine, sharp, clean edge.

Comment

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        My sharpener has a wheel that does something similar

Clark As a few other have mentioned…..☝️☝️☝️ Work Sharp makes great and easy to use sharpeners. This is the one I have. I’ve used it twice now for all my knives over the last 6 months. My knives have never been sharper.
      Jfrosty27 also has this one I believe.

EDIT: The website shows the one for $149. is unavailable. The bottom picture is the same one, but comes with a sharpening rod. It’s $199. That one is available. Be sure an use the AR code as Donw mentioned if you go this route.
      The Work Sharp Professional Electric Kitchen Knife Sharpener is an angle-guided sharpener that uses flexible abrasives, controlled speeds, and timed sharpening cycles to shape, sharpen, and refine all your kitchen knives at the touch of a button. The angle guides provide precision and repeatability to ensure fast and accurate sharpening. Flexible belt abrasives conform and sharpen your knife to a factory level of sharpness. Quickly choose between the three sharpening programs to Shape, Sharpen, or Refine your knife’s cutting edge at the touch of a button. The programs automatically adjust speed and shut off when your process is complete. The elegant design looks great on a kitchen counter or can easily be stored in a drawer or cabinet to free up your valuable counter space.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 1, 2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John Appreciate your help! Thanks.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Clark One more thing if you get the WorkSharp. I "think" when I went to order mine, the Meathead30 discount code had expired. I emailed the company and they responded that they would honor it for me. If you can’t enter the code when ordering, stop and email or chat with them. They should give you the 30% off offer anyway.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        I love my E5, I strongly considered the Ken Onion but I don't use my axe or other garden tools enough to warrant it, so the E5 has been perfect

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Worksharp brand electric or manual sharpeners. I used the AR discount code a while back to get this one:

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/...ife-sharpener/

I like it as it will sharpen every knife I own, at angles from 15 to 25 degrees in 2.5 degree increments, and it doesn't take much space at all when not in use. The down side for some might be that it takes a couple of minutes to sharpen each knife, and you need to be able to hold the knife straight/vertical, in order to achieve the right angle. If you want something you don't have to think about, the E2 and E5 powered sharpeners are the way to go.

Comment

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris Thanks! I'll check them out.

Edgepro Apex.

Comment

Stop.

What KIND of knives? Carbon? Stainless? Serrated? How much do you want to invest? And... a 'drawer full of knives' makes me think they're all loose in there. Are they?

It really depends if you have half a dozen nice Japanese knives vs 16 random cheap things that you've picked up here and there.

Here's the thing - I don't think most people need ANY sharpener at all if they live in a area where they can find professional sharpeners. Most home cooks don't use their knives so much that a you nee to resharpen it once a month etc. And if you're sharpening it 1-2x a year, you can pay a pro to do it.

Also, honing steel do not sharpen. They align the edge, but don't sharpen.

Comment

I wouldn't mind an electric sharpener. I currently use a Spyderco TRI-ANGLE SHARPMAKER®. It works really well if the angles are what you want but takes some time.

The key to sharpening any cutting tool is removing the steel at the edge while maintaining a consistent angle between the blade and the stone. Spyderco’s Tri-Angle Sharpmaker takes the mystery out of this process and enables anyone to sharpen a knife...

Comment

• TheQuietOne
            TheQuietOne commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm very pleased with mine. It does take a bit of time but the results are top notch.

• Banjodave
            Banjodave commented
            Editing a comment
            I too really like my Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's manual, no water, and no oil. Works great.

I use one that is very similar to this, got it at the local restaurant supply store. Works great.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/fmp...592801216.html

I don’t have any expensive knives though. I have a few Hammer Stahls, that is as fancy as I get.
          Last edited by klflowers; July 1, 2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            I would take a sharp knife over an expensive one any day. I don't have a knife in the meat locker that cost over 30$. But have two ken onion knife sharpeners!!0

As Panhead John mentioned I do have the Worksharp E5. Love it! Works like a charm.

Comment

Two stones, unless it’s in rough shape then 3, & strop. I like the results & the work it takes to get it right.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Talk to me about Whetstones, something about the whet stone appeals to me, much like when I shot archery, i shot and competed in traditional. I am not sure if I will buy yet this fall, or next year, but, I’d love at least try to learn on a set of stones first.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here