Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korean Kalbi ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korean Kalbi ribs

I made some tasty meat pops Saturday. "Kalbi" generally refers to the rib, and usually these are beef short ribs. But I stole the name for some pork baby backs with the traditional Kalbi sauce/glace. The Kalbi sauce was delicious, but the ribs were merely ok. The recipe said to cook them 16 minutes for "tender but with a little chew" then to finish them in the oven for 4 minutes per side at 450 to caramelize the glaze. This resulted in overcooked ribs. They still tasted good, but would have been better had they been cooked on the grill. No bark.

BUT... the star of the show was the side of Korean rice cakes or Tteok-bokki, in the kalbi sauce. So good. If you've never had them, I recommend getting to a Korean grocery store and get yourself some. Traditionally, they are served in a sweet/spicy gochujjang sauce which is delicious, but you can also buy them plan, which is what I usually do, and just serve them in whatever sauce I'm making at the time. They have such a satisfying chewy texture. You can buy them in packs with the cakes and the sauce and all you have to do is boil the cakes and warm the sauce. They also have individual microwave cups that are also pretty good.

Thanks for the tip. I will look for the rice cakes.

Comment

I was just in a local Korean store for the first time to get stuff to make some chicken thighs. For some strange reason I thought the labels would be in English, I was wrong. I just gave my list to the amused grocer and followed him around the store.

Comment

Yeah, it's about 50/50 whether I find English instructions/labels on anything. A lot of them have an English sticker placed on the package. The store I go to is a major grocery store (H-Mart) rather than a small shop, so I'm guessing they make more English labeling available. I love shopping there. I can't say no to an entire aisle of ramen, and by far the best produce section in town.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here