Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant Pot Bean Soak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant Pot Bean Soak

I'm cooking some pinto's for a party this afternoon. How do I use the Instant Pot to replace the 8 hour soak? I'm using the Instant Pot only to replace the soak. I'll add some left over chuckies after that and simmer on the stove.

According to the notes I took when I first got my pot, (I now have 2) for 1lb/2cups dried beans, use 6 to 8 cups water, seasoning of choice, and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, natural pressure release (NPR) for at least 10 minutes. Black beans cook quicker at 25 minutes. For chick peas (soft) go 40 minutes cook time. Makes 6 cups cooked beans , equal to 3 -15 oz. cans.

I used half this recipe for - 1cup of mixed soup beans, 3 cup water plus some ham base and they came out great.

Just joined the club and this is my first post. I will post in the introduction channel shortly. Good luck with your beans. I love my instant pots, they are very handy.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      If you feel like experimenting, and plan to simmer the beans anyway to complete the cooking, cut the cook times above in half. Release for the amount of time in Dave's post. No guarantee, but it should get you in the ballpark.

The soak is just to soften them up for cooking, so they still should be pretty "firm" when they come out of the IP.

Welcome Dave in Indy !

If you want to replace just the soak, 5 minutes manual high pressure should do it. Most call for 2 to 8 minutes to replace the soak. Do a manual pressure release. If it needs 2 more minutes then you could do it.

Comment

Here's what I do:

7 C water
      1 pound beans
      1 small onion, chopped
      2 cloves garlic
      1/4t baking soda
      1T olive oil
      1 piece Kombu

Pressure cook at 15psi for 38 minutes and allow cool until all pressure to released.

Sometimes have to add a little liquid after cooking (use broth) to get the consistency you want.

Comment

These are recommended cooking times for beans and legumes (both dried and pre-soaked) taken from the Instant Pot site:
        Dried Beans, Legumes & Lentils

There are a few things to be aware of when cooking dried beans and legumes:
        • Dried beans double in volume and weight after soaking or cooking. To avoid overflow, please do not fill the inner pot more than to the ½ mark to allow for expansion.
        • When cooking dried beans use sufficient liquid to cover the beans.
        • Although not necessary, soaking the dried beans can speed up cooking significantly. Immerse the beans in 4 times their volume of water for 4-6 hours.

Beans and legumes are less likely to be over-cooked, but if they are undercooked the texture is unpleasant. Please consider the cooking time as a minimal time.

The times indicated within the ‘Cooking Time Tables’ are based on the cooking pressure within the range of 10.15 – 11.6 psi.
        Dried Beans, Legumes, and Lentils
        Dry

Cooking Time

(minutes)
        Soaked

Cooking Time

(minutes)
        Adzuki / Azuki / Aduki 16 – 20 4 – 6
        Anasazi 20 – 25 5 – 7
        Black beans 20 – 25 6 – 8
        Black-eyed peas 14 – 18 4 – 5
        Chickpeas (chickpeas, garbanzo bean, or kabuli) 35 – 40 10 – 15
        Cannellini beans (white kidney beans) 30 – 35 6 – 9
        Great Northern beans 25 – 30 7 – 8
        Kidney beans, red 15 – 20 7 – 8
        Lentils, green 8 – 10 n/a
        Lentils, brown 8 – 10 n/a
        Lentils, red, split 1 – 2 n/a
        Lentils, yellow, split (moong dal) 1 – 2 n/a
        Lima beans 12 – 14 6 – 10
        Navy beans 20 – 25 7 – 8
        Pinto beans 25 – 30 6 – 9
        Peas 16 – 20 10 – 12
        Scarlet runner 20 – 25 6 – 8
        Soy beans 35 – 45 18 – 20
        I always use Natural Pressure Release with these times. They seem a little short to me.

I did Immediate Release once and had starchy bean juice spit all over the counter and floor. Apparently this may not happen when adding oil, but I never tested that.

Kathryn

Comment

And this from the Hip Pressure Cooking Site:

Here’s a review of the differences between pressure cooking beans from dry vs. soaked. Pressure Cooking Beans From Dry

• Retains a majority of their indigestible sugars – they’re the ones that can cause "intestinal discomfort."
          • It also retains some anti-nutrients which actually prevent your body from absorbing all of the nutrients that the beans can provide.
          • The beans cook unevenly.
          • Results are split and broken beans- they look a bit of a mess.

Pressure Cooking Beans From Soaked

• Reduces indigestible sugars by over 75%.
          • Removes a majority of the anti-nutrients, allowing the digestive process to absorb more iron, for example.
          • The beans cook evenly.
          • They’re nice to look at and also eat, because they’re evenly cooked so no more crunchy beans.

Kathryn

Comment

Here's Hip Pressure Cooking's recipe for Quick Soaking Dried Beans:

Quick-soaking Beans with Pressure Cooker

Quick-soaking beans gives you nearly all of the benefits of soaked beans, but at a fraction of the time – just what it takes for the pressure cooker to reach pressure and a couple minutes more. Here’s how I do it.
            1. Measure the amount of dried beans called for in the recipe.
            2. Check the beans for any debris and then rinse them well.
            3. Put the rinsed beans in the pressure cooker along with one teaspoon of salt and four cups (1 liter) of water per measured cup of dried beans.
            4. Close the lid, set the valve to pressure cook, and program the cooker to cook for two minutes at high pressure . Stove top-style pressure cookers would follow the same instructions and cooking times.
            5. Open the cooker with the "Slow Normal" pressure release. Here’s how to do it:
              • Tip the valve or lightly twist it to release the pressure slowly – not full throttle.
              • once all of the pressure is out and the lid is unlocked turn the valve to the open position.
            6. Open the lid of the pressure cooker.
            7. Strain the quick-soaked beans in the sink and give them a rinse before using.

They’re going to look a little bit weird and wrinkly and that’s OK, that’s how they should look. Now, you can use these beans in any recipe that calls for soaked beans!

Kathryn

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Bingo! A+ Doc!

I pressure cooked them for 25 minutes and did a 15 minute natural release. I kept them in their soaking liquid which was onion, kosher salt and chili powder. I added a cup of left over chuckie meat and used the slow cooker setting on the Instant Pot on low for several hours with the lid on. I'll take it over to the party soon and finish in the IP with the cover off so the liquid thickens.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here