Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has th World gone to pot?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has th World gone to pot?!?!?!

Well, fer obvious reasons, I won't git into that debate, though I might jus have an opinion...

But, it's safe enough to say that I have 'gone to pot', prompted by th recent sale, as posted by ssandy_561 ...

Exhibit A:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5396.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	532137

Here's my rationale:
    My current crockpot, a real cheapy, is woefully underesized, which constitutes a serious detriment to doin any production cookin/caterin, which, of course, I would never even dream of!

To make matters worse, it only has "OFF/LOW/HIGH" settins... not exackly th controllability I desire, when makin food.

But the kicker was, mos likely, that I ain't got me no pressure cooker/canner. I've been lookin at these fer quite some time, both here on th forum, an out in th wilds of th interwebs...

Any thoughts, comments, opinions, guidance from users, links, receipt sites, videos, etc.? from yall?

Right here's th place to put em...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 14, 2018, 10:45 AM.

I like mine and use it quite a lot. Ive tested some stuff that i would normally do in the smoker like pulled pork...the results are good but i prefer the smoker.

Where it really shines is doing slow cooker stuff like stews and cacciatore. Its also good for soups but no different really than dutch oven. Makes the best hard boiled eggs every time. Also really convenient for bone broth cause you can do it in 2 hours instead of 30 odd hours. Ummm...yeah, i think thats it. I do like it.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      One thing i have found...you will need to manually thicken almost any sauce that comes out of the pressure cooker function.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      You forgot the added benefit of no stinky house when you do the bone broth with the IP. Not sure on the other models, but the smart ones you can download a program specifically for bone broth that alternates the pressure so it kinda stirs the bones a bit with the boil. Other than that 1 program I don't use the Bluetooth app, but a lot of people have made some in depth programs for certain recipes.

I don't know if the world has, but Washington state has. It's not instant though, it takes time to germinate, grow, and harvest. Oh wait, I see. Not what the thread is about. Never mind…...

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Last week when we were in Washington we passed a few retail establishments, but I wasn't driving. But, yeah, never mind...

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Bogy Only a few? It seems like they are on every street corner now! On my way to Spokane I pass at least four (used to be five) stores and three farms.

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb , most of our driving to and from North Bend was on interstates/freeways, except for downtown Seattle and driving through the mountains. Did see at least one farm driving back from Skykomish.

I've had one a while now. Frozen chicken to finished meal in under 30 minutes is nice. I'll throw chicken breasts or thighs in with a bag of frozen spinach and some salt & pepper. 15 minutes on high and it will shred easily. Drop in a container of salsa and some cream cheese and eat. Sometimes i add chick peas or other beans. When wife isnt around, I'll add spice.

I've made good pulled pork in it, but prefer to do that the original way. Roast beef is quick and easy in it. Wife does oatmeal and rice in it a lot. Google will give you tons of recipe sites, I really liked this recipe https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/. I make it much hotter though.

Broths are another great thing to make in it. I'm sure you'll come up with more, but you'll figure out where it fits into your cookers fairly quickly.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fer th many great ideas/suggestions!
      Much appreciated, brother!

Where do you put the charcoal?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Charcoal goes right in th water, to make a infusion...

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought it was a stick burner.

Another toy still sitting on my wish list. Well done Mr. Bones. Looking forward to your always fabulous reviews.

Comment

I use mine a lot for soups, stew chili etc, mainly during the cold months. You can't use it to can low acid food like meat and vegetables (except tomatoes) because you need 15 psi to can those and this only gets up to 11.6 psi, but you can use it to can high acid food like tomatoes and fruit jams.

Here is an overview that will give you a lot of info to get started:
      Whether you’re hungry for perfect chickpeas from dried beans, succulent roasts in a fraction of the time, or a comforting soup ready when you walk in the door, a multicooker, which can act as electric pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer and even yogurt-maker, can help. The Instant Pot is the best known of the multicookers now on the market, though other manufacturers, like Breville and Fagor, make models. We’ll show you how to master them, with valuable techniques for getting the most out of the machine. (Wirecutter, a product recommendations website owned by The New York Times Company, has tips on finding the best pressure cooker.)

Happy cooking brother!

Comment

• BBQ_Steve-O
        BBQ_Steve-O commented
        Editing a comment
        A couple other thoughts... I found that it is faster to saute or brown meats (for stew and whatnot) on the stove instead of the IP. Also, if you heat liquids and broths in the microwave before pouring it in the IP, you will get you up to pressure quicker.
        Last edited by BBQ_Steve-O; July 14, 2018, 10:11 AM. Reason: fat fingers

Well, here's what His Willieness has to say on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6c6eUeoa9Q

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Willie, an Merle!?!?
        Whatta treat, thanks Cap'n!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        It put a smile on my face Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Cappy!
        It did mine, as well, a scarce commodity roun here, to be certain, (at least as rare as hen's teeth)!

Well Mr. Bones it looks to me like you will be having more fun than should allowed by yourself. Be sure to friends over to sample the results. Your Friend, Skip

Comment

I agree! But I never inhaled.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP Perhaps it isn't' 'cheating' if your wife allows it. However, given the recent events with high profile figures, he's probably thanking his lucky stars he was President in the 90's and not today.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          One word in response....roofie !!!

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Depends on your definition of what isn't, isn't. ComfortablyNumb. 🙄

We use ours a lot. It’s great for preparing meals under an hour. We’re on the move just about every evening between sports and community things we don’t have much time to cook. This has cut down on our fast food intake.

Comment

Good source of recipes, but the whole site is packed with good info. https://www.hippressurecooking.com/p...ooker-recipes/

Great book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Many Thanks Brother! I've seen ya post it, in regard to other IP topics.
            IIRC, isn't there, like, a time conversion between trad pressure cookers, an IP?
            Please, refresh my memory, when ya have th time!
            Thanks in advance, Happy Weekend to yerself, Mama, an Th Hounds, etc.
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 15, 2018, 10:31 AM.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            So, stovetop PC's are usually 15lbs pressure; electrics are generally 10 lbs on high. If you're using recipes for stovetops, multiply the time by 1.4. Works great.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Brother thanks fer th refresher;
            I hadn't yet commited it to memory, was honestly too dang lazy, at th moment, to search it out

I’m sure you’ll love it. Great pick up! Recipes are easy to find on line and the cook book that comes with it has great reference cooking tables. Along the lines of other posts, I cook a bunch of brown rice in mine, divide it up into individual serving sizes, seal, and freeze. They are easily warmed in a microwave and taste great. Easy side.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            These things are the best rice cookers ever. Put it on sear, melt some butter in it, toss in the rice and stir to get it translucent, toss in the water and a bit of salt. High pressure (~10lbs) for 3 minutes (by the timer - ie after pressure comes up). Natural pressure release for about 7 minutes.

For white rice, figure 1-1/2 cups water to 1 cup rice.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Best for brown rice also. About 1:1.3 rice to water and 28 minutes and it is perfect.

Got rid of my rice cooker after using the instant pot for brown rice once.

Can also cook most beans without soaking.

Now, to clarify, I bought this here as a useful, beneficial tool.
          (Yall know me well enough to know, I ain't goin fer crockpot BBQ, huh? )

It will supplement, vs. supplant any cookers I have/or might obtain.

This increases my productivity, an throughput abilities, way I'm envisionin it.

Example:Smoker Beans?
          Well, Hail Yeah, who doesn't like/want some?

I can throw dry beans up in there, let IP bring em to tender, or al dente, whatever I choose, to ready fer my smokers, vs canned cooked beans.
          Hands free, no stirrin, boilovers, etc.
          Best of all, there will be no quality compromise, which I will not tolerate!

They will be treated as canned cooked, my Smoker Beans will still be prepared same same, from that point...in my smokers.

Way I look at it, it's like another Pit Apprentice, freein up my hands from some prep tasks, so that I can keep focused on my live fire action.

Meanwhile, I can be outside, lookin at th Moon, stars, an sippin on some Buffalo Trace.
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 14, 2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• BBQ_Steve-O
            BBQ_Steve-O commented
            Editing a comment
            You don't know what your missing brother... That Texas Style Boiled BBQ Brisket recipe is to die from! Add a teaspoon of liquid smoke and it's authentic BBQ! :-D

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            You've got the right philosophy, Brother! Oh, and stews.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            BBQ_Steve-O Please, share that receipt, if ya will?
            I usually use a 1/3-2/3 mixture of Mesquite / Hickory liquid smoke, Figaro brand is what I have.
            Oh, th innumerable, Heavenly Joys of boiled Texas Style BBQ Brisket!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 14, 2018, 02:21 PM.

I like mine - use it a lot. It does make perfect hard boiled eggs, great stews and chili, carnitas, pork chili verde, quick artichoke, steamed veges, soups, and so much more. I've had hit and miss with rice - still working on perfecting that.
          Quick potatoes for mashing, or frying after pressure to crisp up.

I especially like to make the pork chile verde and throw in some of Stubbs. I've used the anytime sauce, but not the cookin sauce (my order from Amazon came with leaking product, so I sent it back).

Loads of recipes online; I keep my favorites organized in Microsoft OneNote. It is very easy to just "print to OneNote" and then move to appropriate page (Pork page, Beef page, Rub page, etc...)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here