Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I Going to Kill My Fireboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not familiar with fireboard but, swap out the batteries for regular batteries if possible.
    My Weber iGrill is battery powered and sits outside all day for 7-9 hours on cooks no problem.
    Admittedly 've never tried an over night cook though but we get similar temps as you do.

Comment

Lots of great ideas. Thanks for the brainstorm. I think I’ve got something figured out. We don’t let cold weather ruin a good time in MN! Hoping for a good game and a better brisket. Need the leftovers for chili the next weekend when the family visits for our annual snowmobile trip.

Comment

grantgallagher If your charger for your tools is "advanced" and measures cell temperature, then it will hopefully refuse to charge below freezing. Otherwise, here is what happens, from batteryuniversity.com:

"Many battery users are unaware that consumer-grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0°C (32°F). Although the pack appears to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium can occur on the anode during a sub-freezing charge. This is permanent and cannot be removed with cycling. Batteries with lithium plating are more vulnerable to failure if exposed to vibration or other stressful conditions. Advanced chargers (Cadex) prevent charging Li-ion below freezing."

I use Ryobi cordless tools, and just went to unplug my chargers as it is cold here lately. This MIGHT explain why I had a Li-Ion pack that was only a year or two old fail recently. I have numerous chargers, and typically leave a couple of batteries always on the chargers doing a "float" charge, so they are ready to go.
        Last edited by jfmorris; February 3, 2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Came here today and was going to ask the same question. I’m in the cities and am planning to do a pork butt on Sunday for the Super Bowl. Thanks for all the helpful feedback, and information. Planning to eschew the FB and check periodically with my themapen. I figure pork butt is forgiving enough that I’ll be ok.

Comment

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            Yesterday I had no trouble in Maple Grove. Today is a bit colder though.

I decided not to put it on overnight only because I didn’t want it to be done too early. I have my Fireboard inside a cooler cozied up next to a hot water bottle wrapped in a couple flannel shirts. Still gets a good WiFi signal. I put the third probe in the cooler with an alert if the temperature drops below 32 F.

It was kind of eerie being outside in this weather with the trees in the woods popping and cracking.

Attached Files

Comment

That is a great looking brisket, mine usually take around 15 hours so you will have an interesting day for sure. Good luck with your cook and will be looking at the posts to see how your adventure turned out.

Comment

I used mine all day yesterday. Now, we were not at -15 F, we were between -5 and 0, but it was just fine.

Comment

I did not kill my Fireboard. It stayed a cozy 60-70 degrees inside the cooler with the hot water bottle.

brisket was killer

did a tartine loaf too
                Attached Files
                Last edited by jhapka; February 7, 2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beautiful! What temp did you run the cook at on that SNS Kamado?

• jhapka
                  jhapka commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jfmorris 275

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here