Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard Temp Probe going crazy in middle of brisket cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard Temp Probe going crazy in middle of brisket cook

I've been cooking a brisket and pork butt all night in my WSM. Went out this morning to check while both meats may have been in the stall and everything was fine, but I moved the brisket slightly. All of a sudden the temperature probe for the brisket spiked to over 370 degrees. I checked to make sure it had not gone through and was touching metal. I checked the wire to see if it was severed. I unplugged and plugged back in that probe to the Fireboard. The temp is slowly coming down, but it's still way above even what the ambient temperature is.

Any idea of what is going on?

Sounds like a probe is on it’s way to probe heaven. Use a second probe and tell us what that says.

Comment

• Rob Reid
      Rob Reid commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Luckily, my wife let me know that she had bought another probe as a present. I wasn't able to wrap the brisket until it was well on the other side of the stall but looks like the brisket cook is saved. This was a pretty new probe because I am new to the Fireboard and my WSM. I wonder if Fireboard or the store I bought the probe from will stand behind the product.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      They should. You usually get a get out of jail free card early on. I was going through ThermoWorks probes like crazy earlier. You really have to watch how you run the cables around the heat source. I never had the problems before I am having now. Even cleaning them you have to be careful. I use nothing more than a damp paper towel and only clean the probe tip otherwise water gets in and will kill it.

I dropped a probe tip into the fire of my PBC and killed it. Called Fireboard. They sent me a new one out, no charge, the same day. I was amazed, since I told them it was my fault that the probe got damaged. They're a great company to work with. Give them a call.

Also, I've had a FB probe go flaky for a cook and then it was fine for subsequent cooks. Don't toss that probe yet.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 10, 2020, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Same happened for me with Thermoworks. I overheated a probe, called them. They said, in essence, "You overheated your probe. We’re sending you a new one. Don’t do it again."

They should take care of you. I have always had good luck in dealing with them. This does happen from time to time.

Comment

That's precisely why I always be sure to have extras for all my thermometers. Fireboard has given me free replacement probes in the past as well. I believe they like most manufacturers warranty their probes for 6 months.

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. One is none. Probes are relatively cheap, and don’t go bad in storage. Always have a few in reserve.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here