Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Temperature Monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Temperature Monitoring

This has probably been discussed ad nauseam, but being new here I'm deficient in search skills on this site. I did find a review of the 10 best wireless meat thermometers on Wiki.ezvid.com and read that and came away with a short list (#1 - #4) to pick from: Tappecue V2 (#1 - $149 w/2 probes; $185 w/4 probes), Thermopro (#2 - $60 Amazon), Morpilot Smart BBQ (#3 - $56 Bluetooth), & Ivation Long Range (#4 - $135 Amazon). There were a couple other review sites I looked at that listed other brands, so there are lots of choices out there.

I'm looking for something other than Bluetooth as the range of that is very limited and wouldn't work in my location setup. So, it has to be a wifi compatible device or have an RF range of over 100 feet. Two probes minimum but 4 would be better. I did check out the Meater, but the reviews were not good.

What are you using, and would you recommend it? I would like to keep the cost under $100 but can afford to pay more if the majority think the higher cost is really worth it. So, what say you?

Myself and many others here use the Fireboard. It is WiFi and cloud based which means you can view it anywhere you have internet access. There are many great choices available, good luck!

FireBoard has set a new standard in food thermometry. It is a remote read, cloud connected, data logger, with connections for up to six probes. It can communicate with a smart phone via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to monitor the temps of both cooker and food. It received our top rating for its full feature set and performance.

Comment

• shush
      shush commented
      Editing a comment
      I, too, use a fireboard. I also have a ThermoWorks Smoke. I haven't put it to use in months. I cannot speak to Maverick XR50. But I love my Fireboard.

I really like my Maverick XR. Four probes, they claim 500'. Loud alarms means a lot to me, as well.

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      Eh? What did you say? 😂

• Dick Anderson
      Dick Anderson commented
      Editing a comment
      The last one's remote could be 3' from me,and I wouldn't hear it! I may have frequency "dead spots". My ex-wife's whine was one.

I second the Maverick XR50. I really have no need for wifi capability, and this does the basics very well. Also, the range is outstanding.

Comment

I just bought the Tappecue. It's in my mailbox as we speak so I don't have a review yet.

Comment

The Maverick XR-50 is probably what you want to look at, it's like $90.

The XR-50 Remote BBQ and Smoker Thermometer comes complete with four probes so you can easily monitor two meats and two BBQs, four meats, or four BBQs.

Comment

I love the Maverick XR-50. I can monitor my cook from across the street. The remote monitor easily fits in my pocket, and with 4 probes it's a winner!

Comment

I've been happy with the Maverick XR-50 as well.

Comment

Another recommendation for the XR-50. Probes are waterproof and hybrid. Range is outstanding.

Comment

I would like to thank all y'all for your thoughts/input on this. I put this out on 3 different Q sites and based on the replies, decided - after a comparison between 2 finalists - that I would go with the Inkbird IRF-4S. The reviews on Amazon were VERY similar for these 2 units, but the differences that swayed me to the Inkbird are these. Water PROOF (Inkbird) vs RESISTANT (Maverick), range of 1500 ft (Inkbird) vs 500 ft (Maverik), and best of all, a cost of $60 (Inkbird with a 15% discount - promo code= O4YFDQ7X) vs $90 (Maverick). Already ordered on Amazon (Prime - of course) and will be delivered tomorrow. 😁

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Let us know how it works out when you get it please.

• dubob
                  dubob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Absolutely.

Maverick XR50 gets my nod.

Comment

I use a maverick et-732 and an inexpensive wifi camera.

Comment

Signals.

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Isn’t that a drug addiction place out there in Cali? You on the sauce again??

• HouseHomey
                      HouseHomey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Troutman Lmao! Yes sir. Nope, not on the sauce. I assure you the only thing flowing through my veins is good ole fashioned.... Lard.

• Razor
                      Razor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep. That or Fireboard. I already have my phone on me, might as well put it to good use. Don't need to carry an extra piece of gear around the house...

The package showed up yesterday (one day shipment from Amazon Prime).
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	MFReFyu.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	662914

Here is the Tx and the Rx

Name:	63Ym7QK.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	662915

The probes were under the Tx/Rx holder tray.

Name:	RcDTVBR.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	662916

I used a working Sous Vide for a warm temp check (doing a 36-hour pork steak for dinner tonight – yum, yum)

Name:	oau8xfz.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	662917

The IB temp is reading all 4 probes within the +/- 2*F tolerance for that temp level.

Name:	YLBY5oy.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	662918

Put probes in ice water and they are all within the +/- 4*F tolerance for that temp level.

Name:	FNjLlHn.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	662919

I have some chicken thighs I will be doing in a day or so and will check IT with the IB.

Comment

Maverick ET732 - $45

Click image for larger version  Name:	71yCQofQFXL._SL1262_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.4 KB ID:	662931

UNIOJO WiFi Camera $19
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	51LonbBPIjL._SX522_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	10.8 KB ID:	662932 Click image for larger version

Name:	bgwU6kkGLhjp6sh-nh93aziQ7GPGaxnQy6uT00zRBRr3o9XGaKOdujaeQbHSyJ32XiewdeuNvuhpSnL1OdO83WyzXOh9kSvl8f0JrNgWL3J55DKLad2OPX9A06UeDX2OZ4elsrWtUJkyc1fmnddfYe2unzYxo9cn7UJHunZr9U-lTb7qGqKbHR5tkJ3YL2imnbftKBZe-q9MAb_NcinapwmteuzwlLKRfLSUs40AHHedxaZ6wm2vgSgxFCEuajN
Views:	220
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	662938

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here