Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MEATER probe status: News!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MEATER probe status: News!?!?

I backed this project October 5, 2015. Yep, that's a long time ago. Yesterday I got an email saying it had shipped and gave me a tracking number... of course FedEx hasn't ACTUALLY received it so I will believe it when I see it.

Review to follow...

Is this the Block? Yea give us a report when you get it. Someone else claims to have gotten the same email, don't remember who, and then disappeared. The mystery and Elvis citing persist ....

Comment

"Your order was shipped via FedEx Home Delivery, and is estimated to arrive February 15, 2019 - February 21, 2019.

The following item was included in this shipment:

1 x MEATER 2-probe Block + Kickstarter exclusive gift (KST-MT-MB02)"

Will see.

Comment

Nice, lucky you! I'm still waiting on mine...when you get it, definitely let us know your thoughts on it.

Comment

It's real. I got my block unit a couple months ago. I'm not very impressed. I don't even care enough to write a review.

Comment

Hey hey....mine arrived yesterday! I got the same email a week ago. Checked FedEx multiple times per day and it never said anything other than "label created," then yesterday it was sitting on my porch when I got home. Haven’t had a chance to test it out yet, but it’s nice to finally have something in my hands after 3+ years (I too was an Oct 2015 backer).

Comment

I agree with Huskee about the block. I've had mine for around a month but I've only used it once. I shot some video of it but I've been struggling to find the motivation to edit it. The phone app is pretty but the overall functionality of the block left me wanting my Fireboard. Even though the block is supposed to enhance/increase the wireless range, it still needs to be kept very close to your cooker. It was raining off & on when I used it so I moved the block just inside of my sliding glass door because I didn't want to risk getting it wet.

Connectivity in this scenario was mediocre at best. Granted, I was using it inside of the steel of my LSG stickburner but I also use my Fireboard inside of it on a regular basis with no issues. In short, I can only picture using the block on sunny days but I doubt that I will use it much at all as long as my Fireboard is around.

Comment

My working theory on how meater came to be:

Two guys walk into a bar. They get drunk. One guy starts talking about his Walmart purchased meat thermometer. The other guy gets jealous and says something along the lines of "yeah but it isn’t wireless like mine"... The other dude says "show me". In an effort to win a "bargument" the other guy says something to the effect of "later" while hoping his buddy forgets. The next day the buddy remembers and so he sheepishly admits he doesn’t have one. His buddy still admits it is a cool idea and tells him as a penance for losing the bargument he must create one and start a kickstarter campaign to gauge interest. Again he agrees to do so and obliges thinking his friend will again forget. It ends up they both forget for a year or so. It turns out a few BBQ enthusiasts who belong to various sites and forums find this nugget and spread the word like wildfire. A year goes by and one of the initial guys who came up with this joke gets an email saying they are fully funded and then some.... they crap their pants and then with fear of lawsuits in their head they realize they must quickly make something that they know nothing about and have no idea on how it should work. They call one of their nephews who majored in something computer related at the local community college and employeed a local high school shop class to make some blocks.... now they are shipping it all to your door 3 years later and surprise surprise it just doesn’t work quite right.

Then again I could be wrong.

Comment

I think where it will excel is in a rotisserie situation, however as I've said in other posts my meat (tip) and the ambient (back) end, are all off a couple degrees from each other sitting on the counter, and I feel they should be spot-on with each other in that case. And the block has to be about five or six feet from the kettle, I can only imagine it would be worse in a thick stick burner but I haven't tried mine yet. For all of those cons, there's better equipment out there to buy. It works, sure, but it reminds me of the very first generation of smartphone. The technology will be laughable in three or four years, if it isn't already. Although I do applaud them for blazing the trail in such a device.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here