Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XR50 or Fireboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XR50 or Fireboard

I've finally had it with my Weber igrill2. The app is too glitchy and annoying. I've dealt with it for two years. I think it's finally time to move on.
    I'm debating between the XR50 and the fireboard. I would love the Fireboard, but after my experience with the weber app, I'm worried about having similar issues with fireboard. Does anyone have any problems with their Fireboard App? Im especially interested in hearing from those who have had Fireboards for a while. How durable have they been? If I'm going to spend $200+ on a thermometer setup, I want it to last.
    The safer choice would probably be the XR50 as more bells and whistles usually means more potential issues.
    If you were buying one of these today, which would you choose and why?

I am still a FireBoard fan. One of my ports does not really work anymore but I haven’t complained to them because I have left it in the elements through inclement weather cooks.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      They will still help you out. Great people over there.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - I know they will because everyone here has had nothing but great things to say. However, I feel like I may have been at fault for cooking on a day it rained a bit.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You'd be surprised, they may give you one at a discounted rate or something. I have no idea, but I would bet that they will be willing to work with you. tbob4

I love the XR-50. A lot of thought went into it. I can see the display from anywhere, hear it from anywhere, and monitor temps while watching football at the neighbor's across the street. It's a solid gadget...

Comment

If you don't need/want graphing or app control, the XR-50 is ~$90 and has its own receiver. Does not need internet or a smartphone.

Comment

The XR-50 range is crazy awesome. Helped me on turkeys this morning on three hours of freaking sleep.

Comment

It all depends on what you want. I have the FireBoard, have been using it for over a year, couldn't be happier. I like the wifi capability, synching with the cloud, that it drives an external fan (if you want, with their drive cable).

Pit members that own the XR-50 are equally happy, once the initial battery glitch was resolved. No doubt a solid performer. It is also cheaper. Is the Fireboard worth the extra $$? That completely depends on your needs, specifically the added features that Fireboard comes with. Both seem to be solid quality devices, so I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.

Comment

I a total Fireboard fan. I've had it for a year and it has been awesome! Great customer service. No complaints at all with the Fireboard performance or the app. I like the app's notes feature so I can keep track of what I did on each cook. My previous wifi thermometer was a Tappecue and the Fireboard blows it away in performance, quality of the probes and a better app. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

I have XR50 use it nearly 4 5 times a week battterys last along time and even longer if you remember to turn it off 😎

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Mine's been on day & night outside beside my grill for about the last month, maybe longer. Same batteries, snow, rain & cold. Still going....

Will you use the thermostatic controller capability of the fireboard? If not do you raally need to monitor temperature from anywhere, even if that means not being able to do anything about what you see because you aren’t home?

If so, fireboard with the fan control cable and fan and grill adapter. Set the temperature, let the device do the rest. If not XR50 will save a few bucks.

Comment

I love using my FireBoard. For me, I love having the flexibility to monitor my cook from anywhere and be able to adjust the temp from anywhere as well. The FireBoard also offers the graphing and digital recording of your cooks too This is a great way to log all your cooking variables in one place.

I don’t know if it is better than the XR50, but I have been nothing but happy with the FireBoard since getting it about two years ago.

Comment

I’ve had my FireBoard for a little over a year now and really like it. But as stated before it really depends on what your needs are. Both units are very good. I can say FireBoards customer service is excellent. I had a small issue when I first got mine and they took care of it immediately.

Comment

I can only echo what everyone has already said about the Fireboard. Especially the fan control capability. That alone turns a kettle into $1000 pellet cooker with even better temp control.

Comment

I have no experience with any other unit but the XR50, and it is a pleasure.

Comment

I have the Fireboard and really love the data collection of the 6 channels. I haven't had any issues, and can say that it connects to the WiFi in my house that is pretty far away. That being said, I totally can see me one day getting the XR50 as well, since MCS applies to accessories too.

Comment

I own a Fireboard and love it too. I use it to monitor food in the house or when I'm not home. I've also got the fan temp controller which I use with a Guru Pit Viper fan for temperature control when I need it (overnights, comps, etc). The app is simple to use and their customer service is excellent from my experience.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here