Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the new ThermoWorks "Signals" 4-probe Thermometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can get the cyberQ controller with three temp probes from BBQ Guru for $319. That would be like a controller for $80.

Comment

Agree with all, they keep missing the mark, too few increases and too expensive. I do like the color probes. You all keep saying there's no remote but you don't need one, you have your phone not unlike the Fireboard. But unlike Fireboard you don't have fan control, to me that's almost more important than temp probing. Plus it has Bluetooth AND WiFi not either or (go to their website and see).

I do agree with Spinaker, I've had my Smoke for over a year with zero issues (outside of probes wearing out). I've never had to change the battery either. Thing is bullet proof and has great customer service.

But...like everyone has said there are better options out there (Maverick) at more reasonable prices. We'll see how long the Maverick stands the test of time but as of now Thermoworks is .......

Comment

Like most of us, I think the Fireboard offers a bit more for the same price range. I'm sure it's a fine product, and I still like my Smoke, but in a side-by-side comparison of features it doesn't quite match up to the FB, IMHO.

Comment

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          When I bought my Smoke, that was the best alternative. If I bought something today, I'm not sure what it would be. While there are times I wish I had more probes, most of the time the Smoke meets my needs, and I'm happy with it. I've had to replace a few probes, and I now have an assortment. At least they are relatively inexpensive.

I’m not worried about the price. This is Thermoworks. Soon they will put it on sale, and often after that.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably at least three times before Christmas.

I doubt it'll be on sale in the first year, or close to it. They're going to get the 'new needers', then once those sales fade off I expect it to go on sale, or at least certain colors, next summer or fall. If the way they did the Smoke when it was first released was any indication anyway.

Comment

I find myself interested in what they have come up with, an, as always, assured of th Quality of their product, but not needin what it provides, at this point.

I also perceive th bang per buck to be lower than comparable products...

I totally acquiesce that it might jus be superior to those that I have... (by dint of probe quantity)

But, I've been givin mine away, un-used...(Rickie got my NIB Mav 732, here, awhile back, in a Care Package...)

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            You are a generous man, Mr. Bones.

I am in lust with the immersion needle probe TW offers and am kind of surprised that with 4 ports it's not an option to have one included.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I think they’re aiming this one squarely at the "traditional" bbq crowd. Would be cool to have some different kits available though...like they do with the ThermaQ. That one is my fave and the only reason this one won’t be finding a home with me.

If I had nothing, I’d consider the new Signals. As it is, I’ve got several ChefAlarms and a Smoke so I’m not feeling much need to drop $240 on something that I’ve already got covered.
          Last edited by MBMorgan; October 30, 2018, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. LOL
            Between my ThermaQ (x2), ThermaQ WiFi, and a couple TimeSticks...I’ve got this covered. But if I were in the market, it would be high on the list...especially as I currently don’t need the controller options.

I’ll just wait for my Meater Block! 😂

😢😢😢

😂😂😂😂

😢😢😢😢😢

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            There's "proof" of Bigfoot as well, grainy video, footprints.

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            Hopefully it changes from urban legend to fact. They sent me the "were shipping soon, so send us your current address" email a few weeks ago.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Bogy What if Bigfoot really IS blurry? Hmmm... Santamarina I got mine in the mail about 2 weeks or so after that email. I was later than some others here, started wondering if I really would get it too.

In an email Thermoworks sent about the Signal, they mentioned it would only be able to store 10 cooks in the cloud before you had to download them. That's a serious limitation. I've got a ton of my cooks stored in the Fireboard cloud. It's great being able to go back to review my old cooks.

Comment

All I have to say is 'why didn't I color code my probes myself a long LONG time ago?'. !!

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              I use colored dental instrument bands for all my probes. Really helps sort them out on the fireboard.

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              Donw I don't know if lacquer will hold up = probably not. I've got some small silicon bands in a couple colors. It just dawned on me - I don't HAVE to color one of them! I'm so smart....

Honestly I feel like Thermoworks never intended to be this vested in the BBQ world and then Meathead and AmazingRibs happened and they kind of had to. I feel like that is why their BBQ type thermometers are just off the mark. They are trying to take kitchen use and technology and apply it to outdoor cooking which has a different set of logistical needs.

Not trying to hate on them. I love a lot of my thermoworks products like my MK4, IR gun, etc... even my trivets and spatulas... and how can you go wrong sending some jelly bellys...

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed, they are crossing over into the private sector.I feel like they are making a jump from commercial applications, to private, and the costs are getting in the way, sometimes.Thermapens were originally designed for chefs and very serious cooks. And at $100, most balked at that price, but they are certainly making their way in to home kitchens. The product above is close, but not quite there

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker well said on the commercial vs private.... I definitively agree.

I'm starting to question Thermoworks quality. Too many failed devices but on the otherhand they are quick to replace.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I had a Smoke fail me, they said I must've gotten it wet, and to dry it out, which I had already tried. Nope, it had failed. I still have it, unreplaced. I got tired of emailing them. Maybe if I had used my AmazingRibs.com email I'd have had better luck.

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              Whatever it takes my friend!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I find that helps........hahahaha. Sometimes you gotta use every tool in the box. Huskee

I think for $90 Ima going to get the Maverick XR-50.

Comment

I have the ET-732 already...make a nice addition and plus throw a lil money to Dave

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here