Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thermometer

Well one of my Chef Alarms went poof today due to a leaky battery, I need to replace it with something a little newer, any thoughts. I have a smoke and a thermapen, but need a little more for different cooks

What's your budget?

Comment

• Brewmaster
      Brewmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      200.00-250.00

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Brewmaster - 4 or 5 Chef Alarms.

I really like my Maverick XR-50. About $90, 4 probes and wireless with a really long range. About the most bang for your buck, that I have seen.

Comment

• Brewmaster
      Brewmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      I had 2 earlier models of the Maverick and both failed, sent one back to the company and they rep[laced it with a new broken unit, how long have you had yours

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Same as fuzzydaddy below, about 3 months. I had one of the first batch that had the battery draining issue. Remove the batteries from the receiving unit, no big deal to me. But the company sent brand new replacement units to everyone who had previously ordered the XR-50, and didn't even require sending back the old one. They earned a lot of customer service points with me on that one.

I'm with Steve R. on the XR-50. I've been very happy with mine and the long range. My Smoke loses connection in parts of my house (it's 1 story 1500 square foot) and the XR-50 never loses connection. The XR-50 probes are hybrid (meat or air) and are waterproof. If you're interested here's a link.

Comment

• Brewmaster
      Brewmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      I had 2 earlier models of the Maverick and both failed, sent one back to the company and they rep[laced it with a new broken unit, how long have you had yours

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Brewmaster almost 3 months. My first Maverick (another model) was troubled and I got rid of it. This unit has been solid for me and restored my confidence in Maverick. David Parish with Abcbarbecue worked with Maverick on this one and is currently the only seller of it (as far as I know). There were some battery draining issues with early units but that issue was fixed before I ordered.

• Brewmaster
      Brewmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

Brewmaster please remember the General Discussion channel is for anything off the topic of BBQ, cooking gear, food, etc. Thank you for placing topics in their proper channels from here forward.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Under the channel "Accessories and Cookware" there is a sub channel for "Digital Thermometers".

Ya just need to check the channel list to see where to put it. Sometimes, it's easy to pick the right one, and sometimes it's not so easy.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Brewmaster, it's ok, just a gentle reminder, maybe you didn't realize. General Discussion is where this was originally posted, but that channel is for off topic stuff like sports, cars, pets, etc. We try to keep all other topics in their respective places so future readers can find all the info they want when they scan certain channels. Think of our channels like the aisles at Home Depot.....

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      ...finding grill tools in the paint section, or drywall screws in the refrigerator section would frustrate both the employees and the shoppers.

Fireboard

Comment

• Brewmaster
      Brewmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

+1 for FireBoard. It’s amazing. The app and WiFi setup is fantastic. Great build quality, and great probes as well. I can’t say enough good things about it. And if you set it up with a fan, it’s even better!

Comment

• Brewmaster
      Brewmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Have been looking at it, thanks

What do you think?

Comment

am still thinking

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        My journey: Started with the Maverick and it was OK; upgraded to the Smoke and it is great, got the Fireboard and it is fantastic. Something wireless like the Meater would be the only improvement.

Is there really a need for the outside case?

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I did get it for mine because where my cookers are currently situated we get a little blowing rain/snow. Once our deck project is finished and covered next spring it won't be necessary. It does make it a little more difficult to plug the power cord in, but after a few rounds it gets easier. Also, spring for the cable spools, the make things a LOT cleaner in the "thermometer drawer"

ThermaQ or ThermaQ WiFi
      I have both and have no complaints. (Actually I have two ThermaQ sets: High Temp & Meathead kits.)

No experience with the Fireboard but they seem to be popular.

Comment

Definitely a Fireboard. If you ever find yourself wanting to use a fan mod on one of your cookers, the Fireboard can control that as well.

Comment

ordered the FB BBQ set, will be here Thursday, Thank you everybody for the imput

Comment

I hear that thermoworks is coming out with a 4 probe unit very soon.....

Comment

Originally posted by bten View Post
              I hear that thermoworks is coming out with a 4 probe unit very soon.....
              Ha! Good luck competing with the price point and user-friendliness of the Maverick XR50. Let the showdown begin....

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	146
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	585612

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here