Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random thought about temp monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random thought about temp monitoring

So I’m smoking a pork butt on Tuesday and I’ll be at work all day. Normally I like to do long smokes when I’m home in case any babysitting needs to be done. I’ve left my wife to monitor before but something always seems to distract her and the temp changes and so on. I guess I probably would expect her to always keep an eye on the smoke, but that isn’t possible because she has a 2 year old and an 8 month old to keep an eye on too. She is busy, so I say all this to ask if anyone has ever rigged up a way to monitor the grill temps remotely. I will be using my PartyQ but was thinking about FaceTiming an iPad camera that’s facing my thermoworks smoke and leaving that on all day. Any other ideas, maybe a security camera or something I could watch online that was set up to face the smoke. Anyways, I know 1st world problems, but any ideas would be appreciated.

The FireBoard is a wifi-enabled digital thermometer designed to operate via your smartphone or through the web. Learn more today.

Comment

Either the Fireboard setup mentioned or just buy the Smoke Gateway and use that with your Smoke.
      Last edited by billg71; July 29, 2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I realize there is technology out there that will make this easy, I’m just asking for something redneck rigged because I don’t want to spend the serious money as well as this is happening Tuesday so me getting anything that quick would be a slim chance.

Comment

I believe someone here used a baby monitor to monitor the temps. It must have been wi-fi, but it is doable.

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            THAT IS ME 😃 works great!!

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            I call it my BaByQ Cam 😀 get it?

If you already have a nest cam (or similar as in any Wi-Fi camera) then there you go. It will work. Your FaceTime idea will work too, although you will not be able to disconnect the FaceTime call....so it will be sort of wonky. My wife would give me "the voice" if she was busy with the 2 year old and I called to ask her to go in the backyard to answer a FaceTime call I sent to my tablet.

Comment

Trust your party q and relax and have fun, just do everything you normally would

Comment

I agree with customtrim Trust the Party Q. Don't change anything in your process.

I have seen the baby monitor mod, that one always makes me laugh.

I am not sure what rig you are using to cook, but if you are using a Kamado, buy higher quality lump and it should burn longer and more consistently. I have found that to make the biggest difference when doing overnight or unattended cooks.

Comment

I see this becoming one of the little comic clips we get.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here