Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important XR-50 owner alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important XR-50 owner alert

I just received an email from ABC Barbeque concerning the short battery life. Turns out it is a defective semi-conductor and ABC is going to send everyone that has an XR-50 a new unit. And you don't have to return the old one!
    I'm impressed.

yup, i got the same email. fantastic customer service. I hope its not ABC that ends up significantly out of pocket.

Comment

do we need to do anything? I just got one last week from ABC. second cook -dead batter in the receiver unit.

Comment

The email says you don't need to do anything. New units will start shipping out mid July

Comment

• Jon Liebers
          Jon Liebers commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks , I just shot ABC an email anyway . I didn't want to leave a bad review as it really did work well (when working.) Curious , when did you get the notice? I haven't seen anything yet, and I never registered the product or anything.

I gotta believe the only thing Dave is going to suffer is a little short term embarrassment. Remember this unit is manufactured by Maverick who I'm sure will take most of the hit. They are big boys, probably glad this occurred early in the launch rather than later when thousands of units were sold.

Comment

just got a response from Dave . Great customer service! everyone is getting brand new units and can keep the originals.

Comment

The great customer service extends to international customers as well. Very impressive for someone living in a 3rd world country. I had no idea it was a problem I just accepted that this is the way the thermometer battery life was. It's the first of the non pen type thermometers I have owned.

Comment

Semi-conducters, partially hydrogenated oil....when will it end??

Mine has been fine.

Comment

I sent an email to Maverick on Monday and received this response yesterday. Great customer service!

Joe,

We are, to put it mildly, extremely sorry you were hit with what we're calling the "battery drain" bug. All of our testing before production went very well and this has come as a surprise to us all. Luckily, the issue only impacted a fraction of the production units, unluckily you received one of the them. To be completely transparent, it was only a few days ago we identified what we think to be the root cause. We need to test our current inventory and want to make sure we get validated units out to you, so please give us a few weeks to perform the swap. In the meantime, you should be able to keep using the XR-50 you have as long as you take out the batteries between use. The defect/bug causes the batteries to drain when the power is off. Sorry for this hassle, but you'll at least benefit from the improved feature set the XR-50 offers while our engineers complete their evaluation and work to get you validated units.

Darren Keller
                Vice President of Operations and BBQ

Comment

Funny - I noticed just yesterday that the backlight on my main unit is turning on randomly even though powered off. Might have something to do with battery life.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
                    Jon Liebers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yup, that's exactly what mine does.

cgrover60 you got the "battery drain" bug.

Comment

Truly impressive customer service, @ abcbbq dave !

Comment

I got the same email...used it last week, then went to use it again 3 days later, batt was dead.....Great customer service Maverick!!

Comment

Hey everyone I'm very happy you guys are being so understanding and appreciate our solution to this issue. I'm also glad I had 400 units air-freighted ahead of the main shipment, which allowed us to identify the issue much more quickly and impact far fewer customers. Better to be lucky than good they say!

To everyone affected by the battery drain bug... never turn your unit off while the batteries are in it. The bug, as best we can tell, only comes out to bite when the unit is off. I have a unit with the bug on my deck right now. It's been on a week and the display digits are super dark and clear. I'm just gonna leave it on. If it works like the prototypes I evaluated it'll go at least a month like it is.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                          Danjohnston949 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          David Parrish, SELL ME "ONE O DEM TINGS WHAT WORKS"‼️❓‼️ Have Your Lovely Wife Invoice Me And I'll Pay Someday❗️ 🤗 😇 🤗 From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here