Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature reading variations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature reading variations

I am currently cooking St. Louis ribs on a Weber Performer with SNS, DNG, Party Q and Maverick ET-372. There is a 20 degree variance between the PartyQ and the ET-732 in pit temperature readings. Both probes are in same area of pit within 1" of each other. Both probes have about 10-15 cooks on them. Any ideas? I trust the PartyQ readings since my cook times are spot on for various types of cooks.

I'd say make a glass of very icy ice water, pull both probes out real quick and dunk them (don't submerge the 732 too far) and see which probe reads closest to 32, 33ish. That will tell you real quick which is off. Better yet, boil water and do the same test, that's much closer to pit temps. But, that's much more dangerous and clumsy. If you have a reliable instant read you could get water at ANY temp and see which probe is closest to its reading.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Or boil some water

Tie the probes together with small metal wire.

Comment

Well my trust was misplaced. The PartyQ probe was the culprit. Thanks for the test procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by ken g View Post
        Well my trust was misplaced. The PartyQ probe was the culprit. Thanks for the test procedure.
        What did you do and what were the readings?

Comment

Boiling water. Test both against each other and a thermo pop. All of them within two degrees of each other except for the bad guru probe. I got to get a spare now.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            You have all the same stuff I do. My BBQ Guru seems off to me too. Guess I better run a test too.

Well it was not the Party Q probe. The Party Q was out of calibration. Had same issue while cooking today with new probe. After dinner I calibrated it and dead on with the Thermo Pop and the ET-732.

The moral of that story is periodically check the Q for proper calibration.

Comment

I'm glad you figured it out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here