Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Mini MEATER Meanderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Mini MEATER Meanderings

A post in another thread revealed the fact that I have a MEATER. Wasn’t a secret. Been hiding in plain sight on many of my cooks.

Exhibit A: a spinning chook sportin’ a MEATER.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180507_171146.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	498294
    Exhibit B: Tri-tip...sportin' a MEATER!

Name:	MVIMG_20180415_165833.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	498295

Now unmasked, folks have been asking what I think of it. How accurate is it? How long does it cook on a single charge? ...and why did I sell my soul to the Devil, and at what price? Etc.

First, the accuracy question. Doing a brisket today. Using my CyberQ with meat probe on one side of the flat, and MEATER on the other side. Three different snapshots comparing the two, and one of the KK Tel Tru as a third reference.

Name:	Screenshot_20180512-082310.png
Views:	179
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	498287Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180512-082332.png
Views:	146
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	498288

Name:	Screenshot_20180512-090316.png
Views:	148
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	498289Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180512-090343.png
Views:	144
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	498296

Name:	Screenshot_20180512-092709.png
Views:	122
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	498298Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180512-092731.png
Views:	147
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	498290 ​

Name:	IMG_20180512_092651.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	498293

The GOOD:
    The MEATER internal temp is generally within a few degrees of the CyberQ. The differences are inconsequential, and can be accounted for by a number of factors, including probe placement.

I also like the wirelessness of it. Can't spin a chook, or anything else for that matter, with a wired probe. It's extremely easy to use. Just take it out of the charging cradle, insert, and start a cook on the app. Easy peasy.

The BAD:
    The ambient temps are rarely correct, and the time remaining calculations are pretty laughable too. I pay no attention to either of those.

Company practices, making it possible for non-backers like me to buy a probe before Block Backers get anything...at all...from the company. Bad! Shame!

The Android app has an annoying bug that notifies you every 30 seconds with a beep that it isn't connected to the probe when you use a different device (iPad in this case) as the Bluetooth connection to the probe. I hate this. VERY annoying.

The UNKNOWN:
    Longevity. Will it last? I've had mine since December and it's been flawless (for internal temps). Will the company last?

The VERDICT:
    Would I recommend it? Maybe. If this device was released by Thermoworks the answer would be unequivocally YES. That it's been released by a company that's already created incredibly bad blood with its backers and acts oblivious to this fact. I don't have a lot of confidence in long term support.

That said...I find myself using the MEATER more than any other digital thermometer I have -- CyberQ, Thermoworks Smoke, Mavericks, etc. I reach for the MEATER more and more. No wires, and it works.
    Attached Files

Very interesting review! Thanks!

There is no question that this is a good idea. I would love nothing more than to NOT have to mess with 6 probe wires when setting up my thermos to cook. It can be such a mess, even with the wire cradles. I, like you, wish that Thermoworks, Fireboard or even Maverick would come out with a wireless probe. I too would be all over that. For now, I will wait, I can't help support a company that is run the way Meater is.

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you. As much as I’d like a MEATER Block, I’ve gotta believe (hope) that a more reputable company will have something even better soon.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I am looking forward to that. Pequod

Thanx for the review. I'm still waitin' on the Block... I hate the wires... I will continue to use my CyberQ until the Block comes out... If it's doesn't come out, a Fireboard may be in my future.

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Wireless really is sweet. I hope there will be more such options on the market soon.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here