Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard with Thermoworks Dot Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard with Thermoworks Dot Probe

I know in the past it was a no-no to plug a Thermoworks Dot probe into a Fireboard. Thermistor (Thermoworks) versus RTD (Fireboard).

I pulled out my Fireboard to charge up for a session this weekend and noticed they have added the ability to select what type of probe is connected to each input. They also provide an offset to better calibrate.

Ironically, one of my Thermoworks Dots went on the blink... So, I changed input 6 on the Fireboard to 100K Thermistor and plugged the Dot probe in. Temperature reading looked close.

So, I filled a glass with cold water, stuck in a Thermopop as reference and measured the Dot probe plugged into the Fireboard. It was off by -5.5 degrees. I entered that into the Calibration field. I then poured very hot water into a glass and did the same test - both measured the temp +/- .5 degrees and have been tracking as the water cools down.

So, if you have a Fireboard and some Thermoworks probes - it looks like you can connect the probes.

Nice, I now have 5 probes - 3 from Fireboard, 2 from Thermoworks.

Hey Fireboard people - many thanks in adding this via firmware update!

That's great news - even though I don't have a Fireboard.

Comment

That’s some great info. Thanks

Comment

That is awesome! Thanks for heads up!

Comment

Crap! I wish I'd known this... I just spent $90 on more Fireboard probes, when Thermoworks had a probe sale last week! AAAAAARGH!!! lol

Oh well, I've got probes coming out the wazoo all over my place from these different thermometers! lol

Comment

Great share!

Comment

This capability does not apply to ALL Fireboard units. The earliest units (like mine) can still only use RTD probes.

Fireboard just released their new "Competition Series" probes and they are thermistor types. If you go to the page for those probes there is a probe compatibility test so you can see if your unit is capable of using thermistor probes:

Shop our 3″ Competition Series Food Probe — a small diameter probe in an easy-to-use form factor. Probe Type: 100K Thermistor

If your Fireboard was shipped after October (I think it was October) 2017 it is capable of using both types but still use the compatibility checker to make sure.

Comment

I just found out my Fireboard (one of the new ones) will read the probes from my Weber iGrill2.

It'll also overheat my probes which are rated for, what 572°F or something?

And it'll also catch the bottom plate on fire if you don't change the foil on the drip pan and crank that baby to hell and gone. lol

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here