Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermometer Test/Calibration Questions (Maverick & Thermoworks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermometer Test/Calibration Questions (Maverick & Thermoworks)

With the Thermoworks probe sale, I decided to test all my thermometers and probes to see if I need to replace anything. I boiled some water and made an ice bath per the Thermoworks website. I also decided to test my two Maverick 732s.

My Thermoworks products (Thermapen, Thermopop, Chef’s Alarm, and Smoke) all tested within 1 degree on both tests (32-33 for the icebath, 211-212 for boiling water) on all the probes. All were within expected tolerances.

For the Mavericks, both units and all probes eventually hit 212 for the boiling water. On the icebath test, though, the results varied wildly — I was getting anywhere from 37-43 (and I retested with the Thermapen which showed 32).

I understand the Mavericks can’t be calibrated. My question is how do I account/adjust on the Mavericks? If I’m only off on the low end, how do I adjust?

Btw, the difference in read times was really striking, especially between any Thermoworks and the Mavericks. I knew there was a difference, but I didn’t realize how big it would be.

just me? I wouldn’t worry about 32 F since I don’t cook at that temp.

Comment

Originally posted by smokenoob View Post
      just me? I wouldn’t worry about 32 F since I don’t cook at that temp.
      And me. Ain't using Mavericks for nothin' but hot cooking. Most things are off of feel anyways, and 37-43 would feel cold to my hands irregardlessly.

P​​​​​.S. I wish I had all your Thermoworks products. I'm lacking one.

Comment

I have noticed that the mavrics loose their accuracy after being at HIGH tems for very long, on my 3rd probe. Still, for the money, the best thermometer out there. Smoke is next for me to try. I have an Oregon scientific talking thermometer single probe. I have had it for about 5 years, and I CANT BREAK IT. Kinda funny huh?

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          where the hell did that sauce pic come from?

Yeah, we rarely utilize a temp of 30s and 40s in cooking, so the 125, 160, and 205 temps are what mater most.

Maverick probes can read wonky when moisture gets into them. I have used the baking technique to restore life into my Maverick probes. Get your oven (or a dry smoker) to around 400 and bake the probes for an hour. Obviously not the plastic plug end. This may breathe new life into them.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          If you get them over 550, well they die, RIP 2 probes.

I also don't worry about the 32* reading. Start in the cooking range - maybe 120* to boiling. Just use the Thermoworks as your guide and test the Maverick probes at temps that are significant to you, (if you like steak cooked to 135* - test there, and for chicken and....). You may have to label each probe if they are significantly off. Sux, but it is a work around.

Comment

Yep! What they said too

Comment

Thanks, everybody. I’ll do some more testing in the food temperature range. A good supplemental use for my sous vide, perhaps.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here