Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washed Thermapen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washed Thermapen

My son and his girlfriend cooked at our house this afternoon while we were gone. Wife is putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher and holds up my thermapen classic, asking if this was supposed to be wet - it was in the bottom of the sink of dirty dishes. It’s still comes on but water was all back in the hinge area. I took the batteries out and it’s in a bag of rice for a few days.

Son apologized and blamed it on his girlfriend of course! If it doesn’t survive he owes me a new one, regardless I’m hiding all my good tools from the kids going forward! 😟

I bet it'll be just fine. They do repairs too, in case it isn't.

Comment

And who knows, RonB might have an extra. Start thinking of a number, just in case!

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, but the "big clean" is done...

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment

I've left mine outside sitting on the smoker overnight in rain and it was fine. Buried under 6" of overnight snow once too and it's still ticking. Being your was totally submerged for awhile might be a different story. Wouldn't be surprised if it survives though. Good luck!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Reminds me of Timex watches 'Take a licking, keep on ticking' Thermapens take a beating and keep on reading!

I have run them through the washing machine. Yeah a few of them.

If its onop Thermoworks will fix it if they can for 25.00 but you roll the dice on it. Both I sent were repaired.

Comment

Cold smoke it with apple wood for 3 hours, no brine necessary.
        If that doesn't work, at least it will tase good!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Like chicken?

Yeah, if you dry brine it, the moisture will be drawn to the surface and you can just dry it with a paper towel.

Comment

That's not blood leaking out. It's just tinted water.

Comment

Thanks, I am hopeful. I'll let it sit in the bag of rice for a few days, then put the batteries back in and check the calibration. If its acting up I will send it in to Thermoworks. In the meantime, my son DID order a replacement for the RT600C pocket thermometer he took to his girlfriend's parents house and lost. Right now I will have to rely on my Dot or Smoke if I cook anything. I had a couple of chuck roasts to smoke, but told SWMBO to just toss em in a crockpot and make pot roast with them, as its fixing to rain hard today anyway.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Nothing wrong with that!

• jgreen
              jgreen commented
              Editing a comment
              Love a good pot roast

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Too bad it wasn't the RT600C that got submerged. You can run that through the dishwasher!

Put it in a bowl of dry rice.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Put it in a zip lock bag full of dry rice right after we fished it out of the sink.

I've taken many of my RC hobby electronics for a swim in fresh water. Remove power or battery as quickly as possible, dry out in sun for a day, rice, oven at 150....all seems to work.
            Salt water dunking is a different story (don't ask me how I know or I will have to relocate again....)

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              I suppose I could tell everybody, but I don't want to make you have to relocate. ;-)

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              What a guy! Stay numb my friend.....

These things happen. As long as they replace it, water under the bridge. Or in the sink, or whatever.......

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              ComfortablyNumb Yup! Count me in bu t I gotta warn you... I can eat. Drink too! Sophia says I snore but I don't believe her.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Save me a chair, brothers!
              We haveta help JF an Mama transition to Empty Nesters!
              No matter how much we have to eat an drink, we'll git r done!

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha, I am not sure SWMBO pictures her empty nest being filled up again quite this way!

Well, after a couple of days in a bag of rice, I reinstalled the batteries and the Thermapen reads 32.0 when I make the prescribed ice bath to test calibration. So, for now, I think we are good!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent. You should be okay then!

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd check high(ish) temp also. Just run your hottest tap water into a container and compare the thermapen to your dot and/or smoke (under the assumption that those two are accurate and that your hot tap water represents a typical target temp for rare or medium rare beef). It doesn't matter what the absolute temp is ... just how consistent your thermapen is with the other two.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I will compare it to the Smoke in a bit, if the Chuck roast I am smoking ever gets to 180...

Good news for you jfmorris I had a hunch that Thermapen would survive the bath. They are built well.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, I was hopeful too! They are good tools.

Glad it works. They are too expensive to replace every time they get wet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here