Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Testing Maverick ET-732 probe calibration against ThermoPop instant read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huskee
    Pit Boss
    • May 2014
    • central MI, USA
    • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Want a free bottle of whiskey? Check out my link to Flaviar.com, you join with it, we both get a $50 bottle free.

Smokers / Grills
      • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
      • PBC
      • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
      • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
      • Dyna-Glo XL Premium dual chamber charcoal grill
      • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
      • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
      • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
      • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
      • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
      • (7) Maverick ET-732s
      • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
      • (1) Smoke by ThermoWorks
      • (1) Signals by ThermoWorks
      • Thermapen MkII, orange
      • ThermoPop, yellow
      • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
      • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
      • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
      • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
      • Instant Pot 6qt
      • Anova Bluetooth SV
      • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
      • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
      • BBQ Dragon
      • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
      • Weber grill topper
      • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
      • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
      • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
      • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
      • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
      • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
      • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
      • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
      • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
      • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
      Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Testing Maverick ET-732 probe calibration against ThermoPop instant read

All this recent talk of folks having trouble with their Maverick probes and I had been relatively trouble free...until I made that comment.

The very next time I started my Mavs up the ambient temps were all haywire. It was 28 degrees outside and one probe read 132 and another 39. I would unplug the wires and replug them and the 132 one said 118, then 124 and so on. WTH?? It was this way with 4 probes, all erratically off and all different from each other. And all those erratic readouts would change as I unplugged the wire and re-plugged. Is it the probes or the units?

So I decided to see if they were all shot or what else was happening.

I decided to do the boiling water test. I boiled a pot of water, and at my elevation ~900' boiling point should be in the neighborhood of 210.

I brought my probes inside wondering if it was just the colder temps making them go nuts and perhaps room temp would help. The ThermoPop said room temp was 70. My probes were reading from 84 to 113. Not looking good.

I initially stuck the 4 probes I use most (the ones in question) into the water but not touching the bottom of the pot.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6129.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	43135

One probe on each unit read 212, and one on each unit read 214. These temps held there for twenty minutes without moving.

Name:	IMAG6130.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	43136

I marked with a small piece of tape at the plug end of each probe whether it was 2 degrees high or 4, for future reference, mostly for when doing steaks or chicken when you need a tighter tolerance. I also did the water test with 4 other spare probes I use when I need my 3rd Mav up & running (plus 2 spare probes I had on hand). The exact same thing showed up there- one probe read 212 and one read 214 on each unit. The ThermoPop said exactly 210, which is what Google tells me my boiling point should be.

So all 8 of my probes read either 2* or 4* high. To me, this is plenty tolerable, especially since now I KNOW it and have the probes marked accordingly. Also good to know is my ThermoPop is dead accurate at boiling!

But, this is at boiling. So this tells me temps in my cooker will be fairly accurate, at least in the general boiling range, but it doesn't tell me if steak or chicken temps at 130-160 will be accurate.

I decided to let the water cool and retest them. I taped my ThermoPop crudely to the pot to monitor the water temp. When The T-pop read 141, my Mavericks (all 8 probes) were 2 to 4 degrees off, the same variance each one had in boiling water! *What you don't see in this pic is that the T-pop changed one second after I took this pic to 140. The Mavs all read 142 to 144.

Name:	IMAG6132.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	43137

So, I was very pleased to see that my probes were not in fact off. 2-4 degrees is plenty accurate for me, especially since I was able to mark each probe. I will take my 135 steak to 139 if I'm using a +4 marked probe, etc.

Also what I learned is my $24 (now $29) ThermoPop which reads in 5 seconds, is dead on in boiling water.

What I haven't figured out is why I had all the outside ambient air variances initially and why unplugging and replugging made those wild variances change.

Oh well, at least they're accurate at the levels that count!

HAVE YOU CALIBRATED YOUR PROBES TO MAKE SURE YOUR MEAT IS WHERE YOU THINK??
    Last edited by Huskee; December 23rd, 2014, 01:55 AM.
  • sbursik
    Former Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Richardson TX

Strange that your probes went nuts on you like that and then worked good indoors. Any other issues with them outside? Just put in an order for the ET-733, but that has the new hybrid probes. I have an iGrill now and I have had the same issues with probes reading squirrely and then start working normal again so I hope to not have the same thing happen with the new Maverick probes.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Former Member
      • Jul 2014

Ya know its been about 4 month since I checked mine and I think I added the white super deal Mav to the mix after that. Its time.

Comment

• Psinderson
        Charter Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Pittsburgh, PA
        • Cookers:
          - 2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain'
          - 2012 22" Weber One Touch Silver
          - 2015 Weber Spirit 210 Gasser

Thermometers:
          - Thermoworks Thermopop, white
          - Thermoworks DOT, white, with meat probe and air probe

Accessories:
          - Grill Grates
          - Rotisserie attachment for Kettle
          - Weber Rapid Fire Chimney

Beverages:
          - Total beer geek
          - Whiskey, preferably a good Rye but I also enjoy Bourbon, Wheat and Scotch

Is it as simple as the probes are not intended to measure air temps? ThermoWorks has separate air probes. Don't know how they are different and I know nothing about the Maverick but just a thought. They seem to work fine when measuring liquids and meats.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure they're not designed specifically for ambient air, other than the cooking chamber, but both the cooker probe and meat probe can measure either.
      • Ray
        Ray
        Charter Member
        • Sep 2014
        • Central IN
        • ​Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill/smoker
          Weber Summit Gas grill
          Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker
          Maverick ET-733
          Thermapen
          ThemoPop thermometer
          Favorite beer: Fuller's ESB
          Favorite cheap beer: Old Chub or Robert the Bruce if they are ever on sale.
          Favorite wine: Cabernet Savignon, some Super Tuscans

I have a ThermoPop also and trust it to give me accurate readings in air or meat. I was considering getting the Mavs but may reconsider to purchase more Thermoworks gear based on the erratic nature of the readings you were getting, Huskee. Has the manufacturer been able to give you a reasonable explanation for the wild readings?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I attribute it to leaving them in the humid rain for a couple days. I haven't contacted the manufacturer about this since the problem resolved when I did the above test. I have however contacted them before about another matter and they were very helpful. Good customer service in my limited dealings with them.

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Ray I wouldn't let this sway you away from Mavs. Thermoworks are IMO a much better product BUT you cant beat a Mav for remote use.
      • David Parrish
        Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
        • May 2014
        • Charlotte, NC
          • Slow 'N Sear Kamado (SnSK)
          • Lots of grills that work with Slow 'N Sear
          • LOTS of digital thermometers (my fav)
          • LOTS of accessories
          • Favorite Beer - Fat Tire
          • Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve
          • Favorite White Wine - Cakebread Chardonnay
          • Favorite Red Wine - Yes, Please
          • President/Owner - SnS Grills

I wonder if humidity had gotten into them while sitting around outside and putting the probes in boiling water caused the water in the probes to boil off, thus fixing the problem.

Comment

• Huskee
          Pit Boss
          • May 2014
          • central MI, USA
          • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Want a free bottle of whiskey? Check out my link to Flaviar.com, you join with it, we both get a $50 bottle free.

Smokers / Grills
            • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
            • PBC
            • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
            • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
            • Dyna-Glo XL Premium dual chamber charcoal grill
            • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
            • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
            • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
            • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
            • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
            • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
            • (7) Maverick ET-732s
            • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
            • (1) Smoke by ThermoWorks
            • (1) Signals by ThermoWorks
            • Thermapen MkII, orange
            • ThermoPop, yellow
            • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
            • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
            • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
            • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
            • Instant Pot 6qt
            • Anova Bluetooth SV
            • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
            • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
            • BBQ Dragon
            • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
            • Weber grill topper
            • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
            • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
            • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
            • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
            • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
            • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
            • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
            • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
            • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
            • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
            Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

I think you nailed it Dave. I left them out in the rain for 2 straight days, probes and transmitters. BBQ Dragon too, but it still works too. These haywire ambient readings haven't happened before so I attribute it to that. And like I said, I don't need them to tell me the air temp at ambient levels, only at cooking levels and meat temps and they're spot on at those levels.

Comment

• Guy
            Guy
            Former Member
            • Oct 2014
            • Niceville, Florida

I had this happened to me one time on a cold morning. I had left the Maverick in the shop so everything was cold. When I hooked it all up I got some wild readings. First thing I did was change the batteries. After that all was well. so I did not go any further. Don't really know if that was it or not. Cold batteries? Or just run down batteries.

Comment

• PenskeFile
              Former Member
              • Nov 2014
              • Georgetown, TX

I recently had some wild readings on my ET733 after leaving the probes out in the rain. I was concerned that I would have to order new probes, but the next time I used them a couple days later they were fine.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                put them in the oven at 350 F and dry them out. they'll work again.

• Ligoniera1
                Ligoniera1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker, in your experience putting these into a 350 deg over....do you put the entire probe in? I'm wondering about the plastic shrouded 90deg jack at the monitor end. Or do you leave that hanging out of hte oven while the sensor itself dries in the oven? I'm thinking I just talked my way through this question....

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ligoniera, you have to leave the plugs outside the oven when drying the probes. This has been discussed on other threads on this site.

DEW

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
            Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
            See more
            See less
            Working...
            X
            Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
            Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
            This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only $299 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. Don't accept cheap substitutes.  Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal .

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order