Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total Newbie- Would Love Recommendations on Thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Newbie- Would Love Recommendations on Thermometers

I am about to venture into the pellet world.

I've decided to go with the Yoder YS480 (maybe I'll be convinced to step up to the 640) and I'm going to go with BBQr's Delight Candy's Contest Pellets.

Frome everything I've read about the smoking game (and watching Meathead's video on thermometers), choosing the right temperature instrument is critical.

Ideally I would like to have something that I can read temps my cell phone (not "must have" but would be nice). I literally just read the review on the FireBoard FBX11 and it seems like this could do the trick.

Being that I'm a newbie to this... not sure if the FireBoard is overkill.

With that said, I would love some feedback on digital thermometers that you guys/gals use for your cooks.

Thanks.

For a little over $200 more I would go ahead and get the Yoder YS640 because later down the road you will wish that you had the extra space. The Fireboard is an excellent choice for what you are wanting. Also if you don't already have one a Therompen from Thermoworks is a must have. Cheers!

For the record I have 5 Smoke thermometers, 2 thermopens, 2 thermopops, 3 RT345 key chain thermometers and 4 Chef Alarms so I'm not knocking Thermoworks at all. I just like the Fireboard better. Just saying...
    Last edited by DWCowles; December 26, 2017, 01:03 AM.

Comment

The Smoke from ThermoWorks is a popular wireless thermometer (it's about $100, 2 probes) and if you equip it with the WiFi Gateway (an extra $90) you can use your phone as the receiver, assuming you have WiFi in your home. ~$50-60 less than the Fireboard and two probes if you think 6 is overkill.

Comment

I’m an avid Thermoworks fan. As DW mentioned the Thermopen is a must.

i would have no hesitation buying a Smoke... that being said the probe quantity on the fire board is very enticing. Either way you go you will be pleased.

Awesome decision on the Yoder. That is in my wish list as well.

Comment

The Smoke is all I need for my smoker and it works great. I haven't pulled the trigger on a Thermapen yet but have a Thermopop and Dot. As I write this I realize that all of my thermometers are Thermoworks. Must be the free jelly beans with my orders!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            We could be twins, That is exactly my arsenal of temperature reading.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Love those jelly beans !!!

I have the Smoke, I was interested in the Fireboard but wanted to save some cash. I also have an InkBird BBQ to go which will connect to iOS. It has limited connectivity.

Comment

I would recommend a Thermoworks Smoke.

A decent instaread is more important that a remote read. Thermoworks products are a good choice here as well. ThermoPop or ThermoPen.

In anticipation of your next thread: I would recommend a pork butt with Meatheads Memphis Dust. Dry brined overnight. It's forgiving and difficult to do badly. Can cook high heat or low heat. Is inexpensive. If you have a dietary restriction which precludes you from pork then I would recommend brisket with a simple salt pepper and garlic rub. 4 parts salt. 2 parts pepper and 1 part garlic.

Keep us posted.

Comment

I'm all ThermoWorks and also have the Smoke. If I want to monitor a 3rd probe I just swap out at the base unit on occasion. I also have a DOT and ChefAlarms that I had before the Smoke came out and they use the same probes as the Smoke. I just bought the Smoke Gateway for those occasions I'm away and want to check in on my cook. I also have a ThermoPop, a Thermapen and a Thermapen MK4. ThermoWorks customer service is top-notch from everything I've heard (I've never had a problem, so never had to contact them).

Comment

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Great idea!

I have the Thermoworks Smoke and Thermopen MK4. Great products and customer service. The only draw back I see is the Smoke is limited to two probes. My smokers are vertical so grates are at different distances from the heat source. It would be nice to have both grates and meats monitored.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly!

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                The Smoke may be limited to two probes, however you are not limited to one Smoke. I believe an AR member has three of them. Now who was that? ;-)

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah yes, not limited as ComfortablyNumb says.

EZCUSE Most Themoworks items on sale right now.

http://thermoworks.com

After Christmas Inventory Reduction sale on lots of items including Smoke and MK4

Comment

EZCUSE , congratulations on the new Yoder and BD Pellets and whichever Thermometer you pick. You will be off and running for 2018. Happy Smoking!

Comment

Congratulations! You will want one thermometer for remote monitoring (ie with the lid closed), and an instant read thermometer for the final checks throughout the meat. I have the Fireboard and love it, but I have the Thermoworks Mk4 for instant read. You won’t go wrong with either company. Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am thinking about going with the Firebird and the MK4. I like the idea of the six-probes that the Firebird offers.

Is my assumption correct that if you only have a thermometer that has two probes, you are using one probe for the inside of the smoker and one for inside the meat or are both probes going in the meat?

If the first assumption is correct where you want to have the temp of inside the smoker, why is that? I know you can set the temp of the Yoder say to 225, but are you just ensuring the temp inside the smoker that it is truly 225?

Also, a lot of people have told me to go with the 640 vs the 480. My struggle with that (it's not the money) is when am I going to be using all of that surface area. This is just for backyard smoking. No competitions and mostly just smoking for two of us (maybe four if we invite another couple over).

As long as the 480 can fit a 12 lb turkey in it, I'm good with the smaller one.

I will talk to atbbq.com and get their take but saving the extra $200 can make me feel like I'm getting the Firebird close to free.

Comment

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      At least the surface area will be there when you need it.
                      Last edited by DWCowles; December 25, 2017, 12:37 PM.

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1 TO WHAT DW said, previous^^^^^
                      Seldom, if ever, will ya' find yerself wishin' ya' bought a smaller cooker...
                      As ya learn, an' once people start tastin' yer cooks, word will travel, an' demand will increase...
                      Buy once, cry once, an' Smoke On, brother!
                      We're all here, to help each other along this journey...

• kmhfive
                      kmhfive commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mr. Bones has it right! Demand will increase. Also, your plan for one probe for the cooker is right. Pellet smokers are much better at temperature control, but you may notice the temperature varies a little side-to-side. It’s nice to know what you’re dealing with.

Welcome to The Pit. If you can swing the extra $$, go for the larger smoker. You can always cook less than a full load on a larger cooker, but you can't cook more than a full load on a smaller cooker.

Comment

Your two-probe model is right. One in the meat; one on the grate the meat is on, at least a couple of inches away from the meat so you don't get in the cold meat temperature shadow. Fireboard, sez I - even though I use an old 2 probe ThermaQ predecessor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here