Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maverick replacement probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick replacement probes

Hi all, I'm using the Maverick ET-733, it's a great tool. However, I keep having to buy replacement probes way too often. I never roll them up or anything, but they don't last long. Can anyone recommend any replacement probes that are of better quality? The ones I buy now are from Amazon, they cost 22 USD. I don't mind paying for quality.

Have you tried drying them out in the oven? My probes have been steady as can be. With the exception of one I jacked up myself.

Comment

I have the same issue. Received the thermometer as a gift in September, first use the wire fell out of one of the probes. Second use, the good prob threw error code. Not to knock a site sponsor (I noticed the ET-732 bundled with the Amazing Ribs magnet on Amazon) but that's pretty dissapointing for both to go bad that quickly without a way to replace locally in a pinch.

Theortically most probes on the market are going to be interchangeable because they use the same spec thermsistor in the end of the probe and do nothing more than send voltage to the reading unit. Maverick uses a 2.5mm mono jack, and Taylor (what WalMart sells) uses a 3.5mm mono jack. I have a couple Taylor units that have held up, so whenever I find the time I am going to source a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and run the Taylor probes.

And as a followup, I found Taylor sells some units that use a 2.5mm probe with replacements on Amazon. However, I like the idea of the thicker gauge wire on the 3.5mm probes, plus I can get them locally with the unit for under $15. I will post results once I have a chance to test temp readings.

Last edited by Frankenstein; December 18, 2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

My probes have bee working just fine for two years, and I use them quite a bit. Henrik, do the probes always fail when you're using the in the BGE? It might be a humidity problem. Mav probes can have problems working in high humidity environments.

Try your "failed" probes in your oven for a few hours at 350F, while plugged into the Mav of course. I bet they come back to life.

Comment

Yes, I am using them in the BGE, and it is a moist environment. Still, I am on my third replacement set in 6 months, which is too much. The probes that came with the Maverick only lasted a month, which is disappointing to say the least. I browsed around the internet and found the BBQ Equipment store, which sells waterproof replacement probes. I placed an order, but later received an email saying that they had experienced too many "fraudulent activities" with the virtual US address I use (www.myus.com), so they wouldn't sell me any, even after an email conversation. I paid up front, as always, so don't know what their hangup is.

Anyhow, I never thought of drying the probes in the oven. Will try that next time. The last one that failed ended up in the trash too quickly, due to me being ticked off :-)

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Comment

After reading reviews on the Maverick and the issues with the probes, I sealed the probe with high temp silicone where the braided wire goes into the probe. Been using mine for a couple years with no problems.

Comment

• PenskeFile
              PenskeFile commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting idea. Would you mind sharing a link on the silicone product? I'd like to make sure I use one that is proven to work.

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
            Yes, I am using them in the BGE, and it is a moist environment. Still, I am on my third replacement set in 6 months, which is too much. The probes that came with the Maverick only lasted a month, which is disappointing to say the least. I browsed around the internet and found the BBQ Equipment store, which sells waterproof replacement probes. I placed an order, but later received an email saying that they had experienced too many "fraudulent activities" with the virtual US address I use (www.myus.com), so they wouldn't sell me any, even after an email conversation. I paid up front, as always, so don't know what their hangup is.

Anyhow, I never thought of drying the probes in the oven. Will try that next time. The last one that failed ended up in the trash too quickly, due to me being ticked off :-)

Thanks for the feedback folks.

You bet Henrik. If the probes work just fine in your oven but keep failing in the BGE it's because they're getting too much moisture in them from humidity in your BGE. Maybe Dave's silicone modification would work for you.

Comment

I have one I have used on my Primo XL for two years running with no issues never have had to replace them. I hate to believe that it is moisture causing it. Seems odd....

Comment

Henrik that is quite odd you're having such bad luck with those. I wonder if there is a bad batch at your nearest warehouse or something else strange. I've had to replace maybe 2 in the last ~3 years. I do not take the slightest bit of care of mine, they stay outside in the elements, I shut the heavy lid on my offset on the wires (gently though) and they still work great, within reason anyway. I'm sorry to hear of your misfortunes with them. I would've guessed it's the cooker too, but Cam kind of rules out that being the culprit...

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, well, I'll see if I can't convince bbq equipment store to sell me some waterproof ones, if that is the culprit. Don't know that yet, will need to verify first.

On the other hand, I'm really keen on the iGrill 2. I like the fact that it allows for four probes on the same device. Very attractive. Won't give up my Mav just yet.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah a 4 probe device just makes great sense. Maverick is coming out with one next month supposedly, the ET 735, but it's bluetooth only now for some strange reason. That turns me off from trying it. No receiver, you need a phone or tablet(?) as the receiver. There's nothing wrong with their good ol' fashioned radio signal ones with a dedicated receiver. I guess I'm sounding like a cranky old man with that statement. (Darn kids, and their bluetooth. Dagnabbit anyway!)

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, that makes two of us :-) I really like the radio signal also, don't trust Bluetooth one bit to communicate one story up (from my grill to my kitchen). Also, with RF I can always see the temp without having to unlock my phone first.

/Grumpy old man ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here