Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire board questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire board questions

So I think it's time to upgrade from my maverick thermometer. I am leaning towards the fire board over the Smoke. I like thermoworks products but also like that the fire board is a small buisness. I've got a traeger. What are some pros and cons? I do like the fact that the smoke has a dedicated receiver as well as the gateway. Are you able to link to the fire board if you don't have wifi network? Like if I take it camping etc? I do have hotspot on my phone as well if that's a viable option. Any other options to look at? Thanks for the help.

i've got an older Thermoworks model, and have no need to upgrade. But if I were looking to do so, that Fireboard would be awfully appealing.

Comment

Yes the fireboard has Bluetooth, (usable distance vary my 4 year old Note 3 could pick up the signal even upstairs across the house, but my new note 8 can only receive downstairs??) if you have 2 phones you can use yours as the hot spot and the other as the receiver (assuming where you go in the woods you have WIFI signal) I like the fireboard because of the 6 available ports the probes are 6 feet long so 12 foot circumference so you are able to monitor 2 smokers at once. Also the built in WiFi is great. Yes the smoke has an ad on that gives it Wifi but when yo add the cost of both its only a couple dollar less than the 6 probe fireboard,

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        +1.

You will love the Fireboard.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
        Deaf Arty commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

I love the Fireboard. The WiFi hotspot is an interesting question. You may need a second phone to initiate the connection to the new WiFi network, but once it's connected to your hotspot, it should work well while within WiFi range of your phone. As was previously stated, it uses Bluetooth initially with your phone to set up the WiFi connection. The bluetooth will still work to connect just your phone to the Fireboard, so if you don't want to use the hotspot, the phone will still give you alerts, etc. while in Bluetooth range.

Comment

Ryder, I Don't Know Wi-Fi, or Blue Tooth From a Pink Snail❓ But be Aware that FireBoard can and will communicate via the iCloud❓ Sorry I'm not up on my Techno-Babble but let it Suffice It To Say I've had no Communication trouble with FireBoard since a Year Ago last Thanksgiving ❓ Perhaps It Would be Appropriatefor Someone from FireBoard to Jump In Now❓
        Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; November 8, 2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Good to know on the Bluetooth. That should be plenty while camping etc. you say beaware it uses iCloud. What's the drawback/disadvantage of that? Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

I wish I had bought the Fireboard. I like the Smoke but it only has the two ports and given that I utilize the grate temp probe for one of the ports, it's really a one port thermo. I called Thermopro to see if they plan to upgrade but got a lukewarm reply. I've therefore asked Santa for a Fireboard and I promised him I would not shoot my eye out either.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	shoot eye out.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	408297

Comment

• Psinderson
              Psinderson commented
              Editing a comment
              I am going back and forth on which one I want. The two port on the Smoke is making me hesitate too, but then again, I rarely need more than that....decisions!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Ralphie!

I have the Fireboard and ABSOLUTELY love it. (Full disclosure, I have the Fireboard, waterproof case, 4 probes, Fireboard Drive control cable, and a Pit Viper) The graphs are easy to read and it updates quickly. I have a fan and the fan control cable. I haven't used them yet, but this weekend is the maiden voyage for them. But it's nice that it is an option.

As far as linking? It will work on Bluetooth only. If you can make your phone a hot spot, all you will have to do is connect your Fireboard to it and it will upload all the live data so you could leave your phone there and carry a second connected device to check the Fireboard if you travel out of Bluetooth range.

Comment

I have the fireboard as well, but don't have a smoke. I have found the fireboard to be great. I love the ports, even though I don't think I have ever used six. I have used four. The Bluetooth works well unless you need long distance alerts.

Comment

Does anyone know if the Fireboard will accept probes from Maverick or Thermoworks Smoke? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Smoke Gateway or just start over with the Fireboard. 6 probe capability is quite appealing.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll bet their customer support would be happy to answer that one.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They do not. They are different probes. The probes with the Fireboard and Thermoworks products are much much more robust.

• Rancherstriker
                  Rancherstriker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I got the Gateway. Trying to get it to work is a nightmare (my personal experience). Trying one round of tech support before using it for target practice (I live in Mx so sending it back is a problem and there aren't that many smoke users over here)

The Thermoworks Smoke probes do not work with the FireBoard. They are wired opposite, so everything shows negative. I LOVED my Smoke, but I gave it away as I was using my FireBoard pretty much every single cook. Now my Son has a great Smoke.

Comment

• aucivil
                  aucivil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Fireboard probes under the advanced settings can be configured as 100K Thermistor or 10K Thermistor or RTD PT-100

• lonnie mac
                  lonnie mac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool. That must be new with this latest version. I don't recall that being an option before.

• dshaffes
                  dshaffes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did not know about the Advanced setting to select different probes ...thanks!

Have several iterations of the Mavericks, a Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway and recently got the Fireboard w/ fan cable and fan. The Smoke and Fireboard are in a different league. Much higher build quality, superior operation and more robust probes. The Smoke is more refined than the Fireboard. This is expected since the Fireboard is really a fledgling company. But the customer service with both companies is top notch. The Fireboard is more fun especially with the fan control. If I were to only have one it would be the Fireboard. Hard to beat the 6 probes and fan control. But if I were away from "handy" wifi, didn't want a fan and only needed 2 probes I'd go with the Smoke.

Comment

I have had my share over the last 15 some-odd years. The FireBoard hands down has been the only thing that has had flawless connectivity. I LOVE my smoke, but can't get two rooms away from the thing without beeping. Now my Meater, on the other hand,,, LOL!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38010.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	408496

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                    Powersmoke_80 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Whats that elusive Meater thing you speak of? Oh yeah Ixnay on the Meater-ay

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Eater-may
                    Powersmoke_80

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here