Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iGrill mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iGrill mini

Pros: Small form factor, good Bluetooth line-of-sight range, found accurate to +/- 3º, easily connects back after disconnecting, fairly cheap batteries that last long
    Cons: Battery connector issue on some units, sometimes poor Bluetooth connectivity through walls, only a single probe

I haven't tried any other digital thermometers yet, but I wanted to give my 2 cents on the iGrill mini. I've been using it since the beginning of this summer and I really haven't had any problems. After I downloaded the app and powered up the mini, it connected easily. The UI on the app could be a little more intuitive, but for the most part I was able to figure out how to set my temperature alerts (either by peak temperature or a range). Being able to look back on the graph was nice because I could see where the spikes and drops occurred during my cook, but I don't think there's a way to save your history. [CORRECTION: YOU CAN INDEED SAVE HISTORY IN CSV FORM] Might be cool if you really wanted to track things, but I personally don't see a real need (unless I was running experiments or something).

I recently tried to purchase a second unit so I could keep up with both the internal grill temperature and the internal meat temperature. I had to exchange it because the unit wouldn't power on. Before I left the store, I tried to power the new one on—same problem. The store rep pulled out a 3rd unit and we tried again. Strike three! We searched the web on our phones for some quick troubleshooting and found a zendesk support page regarding this issue:

https://idevices.zendesk.com/entries...ll-NOT-TURN-ON

Guess there's a flaw in some units where the battery connector needs to be adjusted. It seems to work fine now but I'm sure it's frustrated customers who aren't in the know.

I ran the hot/cold calibration tests with ice water and boiling water. The ice test actually got down to 29º and the boiling water reached 209º. I suppose those are good enough? The temps were pretty consistent in my Weber kettle but I'll need to figure out the best placement within the smoker. The rubber grommet in the side of the WSM is super convenient and the probe fits through easily.

As for range, it's fine for line-of-sight. But if I start going around a few corners, it disconnects. I guess it really depends on where you decide to park your butt while you're cooking. I'm usually sitting outside on the patio anyway—got a TV so I can stay entertained. The good news is that if you disconnect, it connects back pretty quickly once you're back within range.

I'm happy with it for now. I don't know any better but at least I don't have to guesstimate and lift the lid to continue checking as you would with an analog thermometer.
    Last edited by eugenek; December 18, 2014, 10:25 AM. Reason: CORRECTION: YOU CAN INDEED SAVE HISTORY IN CSV FORM

Thanks for the review!!!!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here