Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First thermometer

I'm looking to invest in a decent thermometer that reads meat and grill temperature. After reading the reviews I've settle on the Mav 732. However I couldn't find the warranty information for the probes. I've seen some offer lifetime probe replacement and was wondering what is offered on the 732

can someone also run me through the proper way to clean proves for longevity

thanks again.

The warranty on the ET 732 is 90 days from date of purchase, this includes both probes and the units.

Probe maintenance- DO NOT EVER get the joint of the wire & probe wet. Obviously this means don't soak them or leave them out in rain, even simply being in high humidity can affect them. This can cause them to read crazy high numbers, 189 degrees outside in ambient air when it's 75 degrees out, for instance. Even getting the plug end wet and inserting it can cause an erroneous readout. Moisture is the enemy. If you have this happen, bake the probe ends in your oven at 350-400 degrees for an hour or longer. This usually dries them out and returns them to good-as-new working order. Don't throw them out w/o first trying this.

Probe cleaning- a good way to clean them is to use a dishrag and soap but stay clear of the joint. If there's a lot of black buildup, a ball of foil cleans it pretty good. A Clorox wipe or similar will be good too. Let it dry before inserting it in meat if using chemical cleaning wipes.

Lastly, they do sell waterproof hybrid probes now. I would suggest buying the 6' waterproof probes, and not only will you have longer and more convenient wires, but better probes. The link to those via Amazon is here: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Th...ag=amazi0a8-20 On Amazon they are roughly $10/ea or two for $20.

You can buy them directly from Maverick's website too, but you'll pay more ($20/ea or two for $33) and that doesn't help AR or you!

Comment

Take a look at the ThermoWorks Smoke, http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke. I bought one a few months ago and it is built like a tank and very easy to operate. ThermoWorks has a reputation for top notch equipment and they have outstanding customer service.

Comment

Huskee thank you for the response and will be ordering those in addition to my 732

I was thinking about the smoke, but the wife is getting annoyed with the cost of my hobby (however she doesn't say much when her mouth is stuffed with pork). I want to eventually upgrade to maybe a fireboard in a year or so.Thank you

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Advantage49, I think you will enjoy The Maverick 732 & the WP Probes! No insults intended to Thermoworks but the 6 Probe FireBoard is the Cat's Pa'Toot IMHOP!
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

I ordered a fireboard last Friday. Didn't get a tracking number and got worried that it was gonna take forever to get here. Monday was mlk day, so I figured it would take a week or so. Got home from work on Tuesday and bam. There it was. 'Be been doing my MCS dance since. Been waking up in the middle of the night thinking on what to try it on this weekend. My MCS was so bad that I turned the oven on just to play with it. So far all tests are going well except for when I tried to take the dogs temp. He had NO part in that. And the cats clawed the hell out of me. Guess I'll just stick to inserting them into the fridge oven and grills till I can actually cook with them
        then again why wait. I did see a bull in a pasture down te street. Wonder if he'll hold still for a temp prob? Hmmmm....

Comment

You can get a better look at a T-bone steak by sticking your head up a bulls..... but I rather take the butcher's word on it.

Order my 732 this morning with same day delivery from grill grate, I didn't need the magnet since I have one but I have a BBQ padawan that I'm going to give it too as well as a amazingrib.com apron.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            ...But...it's gotta be your bull...

If you ever have trouble with the probes reading oddly, come back here and ask. I have a few pointers, the biggest of which is in my post above. Also if you have trouble syncing them, I have tips.

Related question... Huskee You link to those WP probes, but my trouble with any of these metal-shielded probes is that the wife and kids aren't careful with them, and they get kinked easily (not for the 732 yet, but I can see it coming). Do you know of anyone whose found a good silicone-sheathed probe set for the ET-732 (both the grill and food probes)?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you mean silicone-sheathed wires? No I don't, never seen such a thing or know of anyone using it. But I do know DWCowles has put those heat-shrink sleeves on his Maverick probes to form a tight barrier between the probe and wire. They might even make stuff to wrap the whole wire if you wanted to experiment but that might be really bulky and counter-intuitive. That's all I've got.

• abandonedbrain
            abandonedbrain commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, that's what I was talking about. I guess silicone only stays stable to about 400F, so it's no good for the inside of a grill. Teflon coated wires would be about the best for the heat, like the "armored" high-end probes from Fluke and ThermoWorks, but with one plug. Thanks!

This is a good question and would like to know as well.

Comment

I sold off my Maverick 732 and bought a Smoke. Got tired of probes going bad, and having to dig out the manual to remind me how to set the alarms.

Comment

Had many along the years. Gotta say my Smoke is the best for what I need. Just the two of us, and I have never needed more than two probes. Really loving the Smoke! I have no idea what the heck I will use the Meater for if it ever shows up! LOL.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm hoping we are getting closer on the meater too. It will be nice to not have to hassle with wires if they work AND if they ever ship. I recently downloaded the Meater app and am anxiously waiting to try it out.

I am a newbie to the different devices on the market but bought a Smoke on the recommendation of a friend. It has performed flawlessly and I am very happy at this point. (about 12 cooks with it) They have many probe styles available and I found customer service outstanding when I called with a issue.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Thermoworks' customer service is surely top notch!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here