Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Infrared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks Infrared

Have not been in the Pit for a long time. Super busy with work and such but I got a salt slab as a gift and was wondering how to use it. Figured here was a good start. Read the article on the main sight and saw that using an infrared thermometer could be helpful. I've wanted one for a while to check cast iron and pizza stone temps. Jumped over to thermoworks and saw this guy 50% off. MODS, update link please if AR can get credit. For the life of me I can't remember how to do this. So, first 5-minutes in the PIT in months and I've found a deal and dropped $35.00. Seems to be par for the course.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

I updated your link thank you!

I've been wanting one of those too, and that deal really made me almost pull the trigger...

Comment

That's a great deal! And you got the link right so AR gets credit. Thanks!

Comment

Love my Thermoworks IR gun... Handy for more than just cooking.

Comment

That IR-GUN-S is a great unit. It seems to be almost always offered as a half-off deal (I grabbed on for $33 last August ... money well spent) ...

Comment

Congrats on the IR Gun! I also use mine to check the asphalt temps in the summer before taking my 2 small dogs on a walk.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              What the cutoff point for dog paws on hot pavement?

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Around 125. If it gets too hot for my bare foot for around 10 seconds they don't go.

I wonder how helpful they'd be on a forehead if a fever is suspected...hmmm...

Comment

• Atalanta
              Atalanta commented
              Editing a comment
              I somehow think that the forehead scan thermometers are calibrated to adjust for the external temp. Weren't there formulas to adjust for different areas?

I wish the screen was backlit. That is the only draw back from the Thermoworks Thermometer.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              It is ... you push the right black button (the one at 3 o'clock) while pulling the trigger to toggle the backlight.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay now I feel stupid. I'll have to check that one. Thanks man! MBMorgan

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I made the same mistake, Spinaker

I have one (not Thermoworks ) that I bought for business use, but is great for checking the temp of a salt slab.

Comment

I have the Thermoworks IR. It is much better than the average off the shelf unit you might get at a big box store. Well built and accurate. What's nice is the laser is not just a dot but is a series of dots in a circle so you know just how big an area you are measuring temperature off of. Well worth the extra money.

Comment

Bringing this topic back to the fore. Thermoworks is having a 50% off IR sale. The one from the OP's post is at $33, which I think is a popular one here. I'm looking at the mini ($15). At that price, I might get two, one for me and one for the coffee shop.

Has anyone here used the mini?

Comment

Thanks for posting. I had to re-order. My last one got ran over on the freeway. (I left it on the roof of my truck, when I was leaving my brothers place.)

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I bet you're still kicking yourself, Spinaker. Usually I do that with my cup of Starbucks coffee. Not as painful $$wise though. Just messy.

Kathryn

• Atalanta
                    Atalanta commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LOL Nothing like pulling out of the parking space and seeing the cup of coffee go flying!

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Happens to the best of us! fzxdoc Atalanta

I know they will work for the flat side of a grill grate but how about the ridged side? In looking at the two models one has a circular laser and one a very narrow. Which one would folks recommend if I was wanting to get the surface temp of ridged grates?

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Get the dot reader. The other one Only goes up about 400F, I think.

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Perfect - Thanks Spinaker. I promise not to put it on the top of my truck.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah man! Put a lanyard on it. They seem to disappear. This is my fourth. :/

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here