Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermometer/Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermometer/Probe

What type of probe should i look into to test the internal temp of a PBC? The PBC page suggests resting a probe a few inches below the steel rods inserted in the top. Not exactly sure what i should be looking for?
    thanks

I use a Thermoworks ChefAlarm with the Pro-Series High Temp Air Probe to monitor the IT of my PBC. I slip the probe into its grate clip then hang the clip from an unused PBC meat hook. Route the probe cable through one of the rebar holes. Works great ... If you don't have a ChefAlarm (or Smoke), you should be able to hang pretty much any other suitable probe the same way.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Comment

What you want is a probe on a 3' to 6' wire that plugs into a base that shows a readout. Maverick makes one with two probes - one for the pit and one for the meat, but I really like the Thermoworks products:

Dot = cheapest
      ChefAlarm = mid-range
      Smoke = top of there line in this type of product, and it has two probes and a wireless receiver so that you can monitor away from the pit.

Comment

• slvance
        slvance commented
        Editing a comment
        I love my Maverick, but yes, the Thermoworks tested a little better

• Lowjiber
        Lowjiber commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the two-channel Maverick with wireless remote. Both probes are identical and will measure either grill temp or meat temp.

However, I recently bought the two-channel wireless Smoke from Thermoworks. It comes with one meat probe and one shorter/fatter Pro-Series probes.

If you don't want or have the expensive stuff and don't want to run wires you can just buy a cheapo at the grocery store that has a hook to hang from the grate... I've tested my cheapo with the good ones and found no real difference in the temperature readingsClick image for larger version

Name:	11010614.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	236772

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Any thermometer that you buy should be calibrated, or at least compared to a known to be accurate thermometer.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here