Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABCBBQ Dave's video review of the Thermoworks Smoke thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like what I see. I'm especially pleased the replacement probes (including waterproof) aren't as pricey as I thought they'd be. Very similar to Mav's prices which I'm long used to.

My Smoke wishlist:
    • Kickstand for the receiver (Like the Mav has) so I can line them up on the counter for quick glances from a distance
    • I'd like to know about multi-unit non interference so I can run 2, 3 or 4 units on large cooks w/o signal "cross contamination".
    • Wifi sounds great, but for me personally isn't a deal breaker w/o it, just nice to see it coming as an option (I was gonna ask about it until I read that it's coming in 2017)
    • I'd like to see a 4-probe unit soon.
    • More colors (which I'm sure is coming, T-works is the color king!)

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      Since the Smoke transmitter is "paired" with its receiver there should be no problem with running multiple Smoke transmitters simultaneously.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Histrix That's what I gather too, and assuming they communicate w/ each other at set intervals like the Mavs do, turning each on incrementally should be just fine. I just don't yet see mention of it on the T-works site.

Nice overview!

One quibble I have with the review is the distance test. Clearfield, line of sight testing is kind of meaningless for most of us.

I would have preferred they just take the receiver of each unit and go on the opposite side of the house (front yard?) to see how well each unit can "punch thru" the walls of a house.

Comment

• TallTrees
      TallTrees commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought the same exact thing. Would have been nice to have seen that, and how well they each dealt with interference.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly right .... I routinely have my smoker running in the backyard while I am doing things in the front yard. If the RF signal carries through the house, then I'm happy. The ET-732 does that

I really enjoyed the review, Pit Boss! Looks like something I might have to talk to Santa about!

It was really good to see Baby Back Maniac on here, as well! I just love his videos!

>>(Something that I never give up easy)<<:

He's about as silly as I am, and that's quite an accomplishment!

Comment

I bought my Smoke this morning - then though to ask about the "300' line of sight" in the spec. I was told that, yes, walls will have some effect on the signal dependent on the thickness and makeup of the wall, but in the 50- 75' range I expect to use it it would not be a problem.

Comment

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        That really is quite variable thing that will be specific to ones particular circumstance. How many walls, bookshelves, garage doors, etc. are in the path?

Just like any of the currently available models - some folks have no problems while others have lots of problems.

Not sure which is next on my list, SnS or a dual-probe thermometer.

Comment

Originally posted by Histrix View Post
        Nice overview!

One quibble I have with the review is the distance test. Clearfield, line of sight testing is kind of meaningless for most of us.

I would have preferred they just take the receiver of each unit and go on the opposite side of the house (front yard?) to see how well each unit can "punch thru" the walls of a house.
        As far as how we tested in the video, we were evaluating the units against the manufacturer claims, which are 300 feet line of sight... not 75 F and two walls. We did a few walls test though and both thermometers did just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Atalanta View Post
          Not sure which is next on my list, SnS or a dual-probe thermometer.
          If you don't have a good leave in dual probe digital thermometer that should be your next purchase, no matter what other barbecue accessories you might be considering. After buying a grill/smoker, getting a good thermometer is always the next purchase we recommend.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes! Even before a fork and plate.

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            May need to consider the Smoke then. At least I am not waiting on a Meater (only pledge $1 on new tech).

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee God gave you built in plates and utensils right at the end of your arms.

Thanks gentlemen for a well done review.

I currently use the Maverick ET 735 that has 4 probe capability and I like having all those probes when smoking multiple pork butts. The Bluetooth on my Maverick works fine inside my house so that's not been a problem for me. I also use the DigiQ Dx2 that has 2 probes, 1 for cooking temp and 1 for the meat temp, for long low and slow cooks. Then of course I have a Thermapen that I ALWAYS use as the final double check on all of my final temperatures.

Someday... if and when my Maverick fails me I'll give the Smoke a look.

What would be the perfect thing for me is if DigiQ upgraded their Dx2 so it had 4 probes instead of just 2. I like the fan and the way it makes my BGE a set it and forget it cooker.

Comment

David Parrish Great review, gents! Looks like another 'must have'. After all, Christmas is coming soon, and, in fact, Thanksgiving before that. Don't know if I can wait that long!

Comment

Thank you for the great review guys! I sent the link for the Smoke to Santa for a Christmas hint. I hope the big guy comes through!

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                It depends on if you've been naughty or nice.🤔 The elf on the shelf will spill the beans on all of your dastardly deeds you know.😎

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                My kids live in FEAR of Fuzzy, our Elf on the Shelf.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to The Pit Hog Daddy! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

What size access hole do I need to drill in my newly completed UDS to accommodate the probes on the Smoke I just ordered?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here