Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low end cheap temp probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low end cheap temp probes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=amazi0a8-20 I bought one of these a few months ago and discovered it didnt work while smoking the canadian bacon last weekend. I figured the batteries went dead, so I ordered some batteries and a new one just incase batteries didnt fix my old one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=amazi0a8-20 I got the new one yesterday and double checked the old one to make sure it didnt work.. still dead. took the battery out of the new one and put it in the old one.. works fine. old battery it the new one... it works too. If you get one that quits on you, try taking the battery out and put it back in. the battery fits tight, not sure if they move alittle if dropped and lose connection or what happened, but now I have 2 and a life time supply of batteries

When you get any new thermometer - cheap or expensive - I suggest you test it for accuracy. Stick it in boiling water and it should read close to 212* depending on your elevation. I'm 300 Ft above sea level, and the boiling temp for my elevation is just below 212* at 211.6.
    Also check to see how accurate it is for freezing. Thermoworks has an article that shows how to test for 32*. Some of the cheaper thermometers are probably fine, but if I ever smoke a wagu brisket at a price far north of $100, I'd want a calibrated thermometer with a great reputation behind it.

Comment

Buying thermometers is like buying beef. Buy the best quality you can afford.πŸ‘

Comment

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
        Buying thermometers is like buying beef. Buy the best quality you can afford.πŸ‘
        ... and speaking of which, Thermoworks is having a big open box sale for the next 24 hours:

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          They always have "open box sales". Why is that. Are they rejects that they are just reselling????

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve B - they explain it on the above link.

rat88 I have the same thermometer (in grey) and mine is accurate and quick and I like the auto on/off and the magnet that keeps it handy on the fridge.

Comment

Beware. Many probes are tuned to specific meters, so they may not work and if they do they may not be accurate.

Comment

• rat88
            rat88 commented
            Editing a comment
            I fired both up right next to each other and they were within .2 degrees of each other and matched the cheapy IR. thats close enough for me

• Gooner-que
            Gooner-que commented
            Editing a comment
            I checked mine with boiling water and with ice water both numbers were good.

I like mine so far, not sure why it didnt work last weekend. I thought they just went through batteries quick. I needed 2 anyway. every time I'm cooking in the shop.. it is in the house, when I.m grilling at the house... it is in the shop

Comment

Thanks for the heads up with thermo works. Just bought 4 different ones. One is pink..but that's all they had. Real men cook with pink...yeah....yeah that's it. I could always paint it.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Tell your friends you bought it for your wife.πŸ˜† Or your mother if you don't have a wife.😎

Actually it'll be easier to find. Then I won't have to dig around looking for it. MCS just kicking again.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed... It will stick out like a sore thumb.😎

That's why I bought a pink Thermopen I can find it easier.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Think of it as "medium" ... not "pink"

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I also have a orange Thermopen and it is easy to see too

I have found that in one of my digitals that a particular brand of battery may not work because of the height of the positive or negative posts don't touch the contacts. Try a different brand and see if it works. It did drive me crazy for alittle while until I figured it out. Wound up using an off brand cheap battery and works perfectly.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here