Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Am I Doing Wrong????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Am I Doing Wrong????

I have a ChefAlarm and just got a new ThermaQ from ThermoWorks. I follow all the directions for setting the hi and low temps and both alarms. However, on BOTH thermos when I finish setting the low alarm temp the low thermo's alarms go off. The only way I can make them go off is to mute the alarm. Why is this happening? Apparently I am doing something wrong. For my ribs I set the hi temp to 250 and the low to 220. Help???

What are you checking the temp of? If the ambient temp is around 70 to 90 which I assume at this time of year it is where you are and the meat temp is around 45 if you just took it out of the fridge and you have the low alarm set to 220 then it is going to go off or sound until it sees a low temp of 220. Try setting the low temp warning below whatever the ambient temp is if you are checking your smoker temp or below the meat temp if you are checking the internal meat temp. If I am monitoring my smoker temp I usually set the low warning to 200 but I don't turn the thermometer on until my smoker gets up to over 200. If I use my Thermoworks to monitor meat temp I set the low warning to around 40 to 45 and the high warning to around 195 if I am cooking a pork butt. I don't monitor the internal temp of my ribs due to what Meathead says, the bones are so close together that they will throw off the temp on a thermometer.

Comment

Thank you, vandy. Not only did this work on both thermos but it makes perfect sense (at least once I thought about it). Maybe the instructions are intuitive. But I was an English major in college and I've got a law degree. Guess that explains it. Again, I appreciate you taking the time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here