Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermoPop Vs. Thermapen - is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you'll be very happy with that.
    It's still a very useful tool made by a company that really stands behind their products.

As for sales..?
    As pointed out, just sign up for their emails. They WILL let you know when there's a sale. LOL
    (A perk is that they give away things to a lucky subscriber now and then. Not me, but then I said lucky. mmm >:-/ LOL)

Next...put the ThermaPen Mk4 on your wish list that you give to Santa...maybe even ABOVE a new bike and Hot Wheels if you REALLY want one. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by JPGators17 View Post
      Thanks for all of the input. You have succeeded in making me completely confident in the ThermoPop's ability, and in making me REALLY want the Thermapen, but without justifying the price. haha!

How often do open box sales occur? How and where do I keep an eye out for them?
      The MK4's are on sale right now for $79.00 That's $20.00 off. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one yesterday.

I have a Thermopop, that was replaced once, under warranty, and it works great.

I also have, and prefer, the RT600C. The reason for the preference, is that costs around the same as the Thermopop, has a thinnier probe, reads a tad faster, and the handle doubles as an extender, so you're hands aren't as close to the heat.

I'm one of our tailgate cooks, so the Thermopop, and the RT600C are my on the road and tailgate "go-to" thermometers because they're fast, accurate and cheap enough so I won't have heart failure if I lose one, or break it.

Thermoworks frequently has sales. Thermapens and Thermopops seem to always be included in the sales.
      Last edited by Skinsfan1311; July 23, 2016, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I always had cheap ass thermos in the past. Then MCS got the best of me and I went for the Thermapen. I have a Pop but the pen is built tougher and its last me for over two years now and still going strong. Which is longer than almost anything else I own. I am really hard on equipment. I take care of my equipment but I'm not one to buy something nice and not use it "because its expensive"

Is the pen better than the Pop? Yes, no question. Is it worth the extra money? If you can afford it, yes. Just like leather seats, are they worth it? Well, to the guy that can pay cash for his new truck.....its more of an afterthought.

Comment

Well, after reading all of these posts, my earlier post on the subject now seems a tad bit ignorant. As soon as I can (that means Christmas) I'll buy the 'Pen!

Comment

I have both... I accidentally washed my Thermapen once. Upon discovery I immediately removed the battery and put it in a bowl of rice for 2 days. Meanwhile figuring it was trashed I ordered 2 Thermopops on sale for $35.00 plus 12.00 shipping. I gave 1 to my sister. (she loves it) The Thermapen is now clean as a whistle and works fine. Bottom line the Pen is faster and more accurate. The 2 are side by side I always grab the Pen first.

Sometimes I get a temperature reading that I don't expect. I double check with the Pop. When I have 2 thermometers that read very close to the same I am a happy man.
            Last edited by troymeister; July 24, 2016, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulstheRibList View Post
              The Pop is great. I keep several around and give them away as gifts.

I LOVE THE Mk4 ThermaPen. I loved my original Thermapen, but the auto rotate, auto backlit, and auto shutoff/turn on are FABULOUS!

Also, get the glow in the dark neoprene sheath with the magnets!!!!
              ^^^ +1

Comment

A man with only one watch knows what time it is.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here