Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermometer Upgrade...Necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermometer Upgrade...Necessary?

I've been using a Thermoworks pocket thermometer (http://www.thermoworks.com/RT301WA
    ) for the past 3 years with no complaints. Is there a measurable advantage upgrading to either the Thermapen or MTC with a fast response meat probe? Are these thermometers simply faster or faster and more accurate?

Have you checked the accuracy of this thermometer and if so if it is accurate the only difference you will see is a faster response time. I have an older Thermapen and can't live without it now, if and when it ever dies I will get the newest version of it.

Comment

Hi Vandy; the Thermoworks pocket thermometer is accurate. I'm just wondering if I'm missing the boat here as it seems most use the Thermopen.

Comment

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        If that thermometer is acurate and you don't need the faster reading one then I would stay with what you have then. When I bought the Thermapen I just went for the best the first time. If it aint broke don't fix it.
        Last edited by vandy; June 20, 2016, 01:39 PM.

I have the MK4 Thermapen, and I love it. That said, as my wife will tell you, I am a gadget freak! Always have to have the latest and greatest. If your current thermometer works and is accurate, and you have a good backup, I would say that there is no need to upgrade. If you do competition barbecue, maybe then it would be a good idea!

According to Thermoworks, you get 0.9 degrees accuracy and 5-6 second readings with your current thermometer. The Thermapen gives you 0.7 degrees accuracy, and 2-3 second readings. If that increase in accuracy, and the gee-whiz features are worth nearly $100 to you, then go for it! 😀
      Last edited by Thunder77; June 20, 2016, 11:31 AM. Reason: Content

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        😎 There are some VERY cool features on the MK4!

Thanks jgjeske1...the cool factor needs to be taken into account also

Comment

I know this goes against the grain of a lot of members here but I've never seen a reason to own a bunch of high quality thermometers. I have 2, a cheap, round, Kingsford grate thermometer that I toss on the grate near the meat and a ThermoPop to give me the internal temp of the meat. Yes, I have to lift the lid to check them both but at most it's off for 10 seconds. Seems to work just fine for me.

Actually I take that back, I have 3. Last year my wife bought me a setup for especially long cooks. It has a probe that's left in the meat, a remote display that you carry around with you, an alarm system, etc. I used it once and said screw it. I don't need to see the internal temperature going from 102 to 104. I know when it's close to being ready and when I'm at that point I just check it more frequently with the ThermoPop. Like I said, it seems to work for me.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing wrong with whatever works for you! I have the Maverick 732, and I like it, but don't always use both probes. Sometimes I just monitor pit temp. I like doing that on long cooks.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here