Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infrared thermometer: Really "just optional"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infrared thermometer: Really "just optional"?

Hi,

Whenever I do something in my cast-iron pan, like fish, veggies or the occasional meat recipe, I am very happy to have my infrared gun thermometer. Especially when I use two pans, one one maximum heat for salmon, one for veggies on a medium heat zone, it's very reassuring to know how the pans behave.

Meathead, otoh in his great new book, feels they are of limited use.

How do you all feel about this?

Best,

Detlev
    Attached Files

I find my IR Gun to be a really nice tool. I use it Oly slightly less than I use my ThermaPen. I wouldn't be without either one.

Comment

I bought my ennoLogic to measure high grill temps because I knew the temps exceeded the max for the Maverick. The IR reported about 786 on the gasser with all 3 burners high and GrillGrates.

Also fun to zap other things!

Comment

I think its a fun toy but it wont tell me when my food is safe. Its uses are limited.

I play with mine because I have it but I can get by without.
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; June 17, 2016, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon Solberg, As I Live and Die! Where Have You Been Old Son? I was beginning to believe David Parrish had truly
          Left You in Saskatoon! Yodeling out of tune with the RCMP outside a Saloon? Glad You made it Home!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

At the end of the day, everything's optional but the food and a heat source to cook it on.

I have an IR gun and find it useful for temping cooking surfaces like cast iron and pizza stones.

Comment

I'll add checking Grill Grates surface temperature.

Comment

I like my IR gun thermometer. I made a mistake and bought one from Lowe's that only went up to 750 deg F. So I gave it away and bought the Maverick LT-02 from the Grill Grates site with a maximum range of 1022 deg F. I use it a lot more than I thought I would to check surface temps of the Grill Grates when checking 2 zone heat and of course for my cast iron pans. I tried it on my husband as he came onto the deck last night while I was grilling. He was cool as a cucumber.

Kathryn

Comment

Don't have one, very low priority to obtain one.

Comment

I use mine to check the pizza stone temperature before putting bread or pizza in my BGE. When I bake at 500° to 800° I don't use the top vent on my BGE. I like the top vent to be open so I can aim the IR gun down to the pizza stone without opening the dome. Plus I like to be able to see how my bread and pizza crust is browning during the cook without opening the dome.

I consider my IR gun a very valuable tool.👍

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kewl idea. Like having a porthole view inside. I may try that with my new Summit kettle. Thanks!

Kathryn

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will be using mine this week on the pizza stone / SnS rig. --Ed

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc ...

Doing it that way allows you to observe the cook just like you can in your kitchen oven. So... If one side is browning faster than the other you can open the lid and rotate your bread/pizza to get even browning. It minimizes opening your lid and losing cooking temps.👍
                  Last edited by Breadhead; June 18, 2016, 03:05 AM.

Let's not forget that the laser portion of the IR gun makes for a really nice cat toy!

After all, I am a life support system for these cats around here.

Comment

I agree with others, They are great tool to have around the kitchen. Especially when heating oils, or searing steaks. You can fin them cheap on Amazon or Jet.

Comment

I don't have one, and get by without one. That said, I do want one! Who makes a good one for BBQ/grilling?

Comment

• Pequod
                      Pequod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thermoworks has several good options.

• Medusa
                      Medusa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Check out ennoLogic. I think mine goes up to 1250

One member, _John_ once said that he uses his to find out just how hot the surface was that he just burned his hand on.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The surface is likely cooler for having his hand on it.

Here's the ThermoWorks unit I have. Currently $39 and a wide temp range. Their page says this is a sale, so hop on it, using this link which includes AR's referral link.

Comment

• Pequod
                      Pequod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have that unit as well. Can definitely endorse. Great price too.

• CeramicChef
                      CeramicChef commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's EXACTLY the one my cats and I love so well!

Seriously, I think it's a great tool at a great price.

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's the one I have too.

My daughter was just last night using mine as a cat toy! 😝
                    I use it anywhere I need to check temps above the Maverick range, like pizza stones, iron pans etc. I maxed out the Maverick last night on my pizza stone.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here