Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermoWorks ThermaQ's Armoured Smokehouse probe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermoWorks ThermaQ's Armoured Smokehouse probe question

Love me my ThermoWorks - have the ThermoPop, the ChefAlarm, and my more recent purchase the ThermaQ. All built well - used on a lot of cooking. Back in March I had the Armoured Smokedhouse Probe start giving false readings - worked with ThermoWorks (they were very helpful) had it back and back in May the issue started back up. With the ThermaQ at a horizontal level the temp reads different that if you use the stand and prop it up.

Has anyone else had this happen? The other probe, the high temp ceramic insulated fiber, has had zero problems.

Thanks in advance! Now to go take it apart and follow the directions they gave me that might fix the issue.

How are you using this probe, as an ambient air probe or a meat probe?

Comment

I am using it as a meat probe...it can withstand the high temps of searing, fits easily through a hole in the side of my smoker, and the 8ft of cord is all slack since the ThermaQ is right next to the smoker. The only thing I can think of is maybe having that much slack/weight on the ground is putting too much pressure on the connector?

Comment

I have one of these probes myself but I have only used it a couple of times and it did great from what I remember. I also have about 8 other Thermoworks K type probes and the only problem that I have had with any of them was my fault when I pulled the wire out of the K connector end of it, had to throw that one away. I don't know but it sounds like there is something wrong with the probe and it almost sounds like an internal connection problem. If it gives different reading when it is standing up versus laying on it's side that is what I would suspect anyway, the wires inside the unit could be pulling apart and only making a partial connection or to put it another way a poor connection. There could also be a poor connection in the K connector itself which you can find out on your own by removing the 2 small screws that hold the 2 halfs of the plastic yellow connector together then look at the wires inside to see if everything is secure. Other than that I would call Thermworks and find out if there is anything that they can do for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here