Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the market for a new thermometer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the market for a new thermometer!

Looking for a new thermometer what’s your favorite thermometer? has anyone used "meater" therometer? I keep seeing ads for it on social media platforms Good, bad?

I think you’ll get a lot of recommendations for Thermoworks. I use Inkbird which is a budget option but definitely does the job.

The Meater reviews are more mixed on the free side, but if you really value the wireless aspect over the cons, it definitely could be a good option.

Comment

How do you plan on using it? Do you want a leave in or an instant read? How many probes do you want?

Comment

Instant read, Thermapen hands down, ThermoPop if you just can’t afford the Thermapen. For a leave in the Fireboard. The concept of Meater is the future, their marketing is fabulous, their product Meh. I have a Meater+, it’s great for the rotisserie, but that’s really all I use it for. Unless they’ve made major changes, their BT range is short and I’m not leaving my phone or iPad outside by it to bridge to WiFi.

For wired probes on a WIFi unit, everyone else has been chasing Fireboard for a few years now. Others are getting close and have decent products, but still why not go with the one that has been leading that race for quite a while?

Edit: Don’t forget to check the reviews on the free side. AR staff thoroughly tests a lot of thermometers (and/or therma meters).
        Last edited by glitchy; July 23, 2021, 09:28 AM. Reason: Getting product names right, A before O except before Pop?

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you mean Thermapen? Never heard of Thermopen?

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris LOL, probably. I just have one and know it works. Can't keep all the names straight with Therma in some, Thermo in others. Just get a pen or pop from ThemOworks.com, I guess.

I have owned……a lot. We ran into this issue for a Father’s Day fist for my father in law, who could really use a thermometer since he overcooks everything. My sister in law bought him the Weber thing that connects to your grill, except he doesn’t have a compatible grill. She ignored my suggestions. For instant read I would say either a Thermoworks Pop or jf you can afford it the thermapen. I have both and love my thermopen. I use it for everything, including my home brew I make. For long cooks I would go with a WiFi thermometer and skip the Bluetooth ones. I haven’t seen a BT one that gets good reviews and for the price you ought as well get a WiFi one. The Meaters, which are all over social media get lousy reviews. I don't have a WiFi one because I don’t need one nor want one. My pellet smoker had a WiFi thermometer built into it and when I use my charcoal smoke I use my new signals x4 which is an RF unit. I love it. I also own a Thermoworks chief alarm, which while nice is outdated along with my thermoworks Dot. If I could do it all over again I would just get a fireboard and a thernapen.

Comment

I think FireBoard is just the best. 6 probes, Bluetooth and wifi. Able to run a stoker fan. Graphs your cooks and stores them in the cloud. I don't think any other thermometer delivers all of that. Shed they are made in the USA if that kind of thing matters to you.

Comment

I say Thermoworks, no matter what flavor you want. Tech support and customer service outstanding as well.

Comment

+1 for Thermoworks, POP and DOT work for me.

Comment

As others have mentioned, there are two types of thermometer - instant read, that you stick into what you are cooking, and check the temperature within a few seconds, or a leave in, with a wired probe. No one should be without a good instant-read, for checking temperatures in the kitchen and on the grill. I'll second/third the recommendation for a Thermoworks Thermapen ($69 to $99 depending on model) or Thermopop ($35). I have the Thermapen "Classic" which I bought for maybe $69 5-6 years ago. I've given all my kids and my father Thermopop's for Christmas gifts over the past few years. I really don't recommend any other instant read thermometers.

For leave-in thermometers, which is what the Meater you mention is, there are lots more options. The Thermoworks Smoke series (2-4 channels), Thermoworks Signals, the Thermoworks Dot (1 channel) the Fireboard, the new SNSgrills thermometer, the Meater, the various "iGrill" options from Weber, the Inkbird, and so on. You need to decide what features and price point you want to be at. I personally have the Thermoworks Smoke (2 channel) with a "Smoke Gateway" that connects it to an app on my phone. 90% of the time I don't bother with that and just use the dedicated remote to monitor the cook from around the house and yard.

The issue with the Meater, the iGrill from Weber and a few others is that they connect via Bluetooth to your phone. This means you HAVE to use your phone to see what the reading is, as there is no built in screen. This also means you only can operate and monitor the cook if you are within bluetooth range (30 feet or less usually). With the Meater, since it is INSIDE your grill, the range is much less unless you buy their more expensive system that has a bluetooth to Wifi bridge built into the block. Also, with the Meater, remember that each probe has to be charged. I am not sure they have a way to have a grate probe to monitor cooker temperature either.

Anyway, gotta get back to work. My advice personally is that unless you are using a rotisserie and want to monitor stuff that is spinning, you are better off with a unit with wired probes than with the Meater. And if you don't have a good instant read, get that first.

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Meater has sensors at each end, one to monitor food, the other cook temp. The cook temp would or could be somewhat skewed by the proximity of the sensor to the hunk of meat you’re cooking.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  glitchy thanks for the education. The only time I've wished I had something like the Meater is when I was using one of my rotisseries. I've gotten used to going until I think its close to done, then stopping the spinning to spot check things with the Thermapen. Not that much trouble really.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here