Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble with the Thermapen silcone magnetic boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with the Thermapen silcone magnetic boot?

Has anyone else noticed problems slipping the magnetic boot on their T-Pen, making it then act wonky?

I thought for about a year now my orange one was acting up from being left outside and getting rained on, so I bought the purple recently when it was on sale (not knowing the orange too would soon go on sale right after that), and slipping the boot on the new purple one made it act up too. Screen went out as soon as I slipped it on. Remove a little, works, slip back on, screen turns off and can't make it come on.

My now un-booted old orange one then worked perfectly. I did this switch a few times back & forth and isolated it to the boot (surely the magnets) making them both act up.

Am I alone in this?

I don't use a boot, but it sounds like a call to the company is in order.

Edit to add - have you tried holding the magnet next to the Thermopen with the case off?
    Last edited by RonB; March 31, 2021, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Before I get ahold of TWorks I wanted to see if this is a common thing or just some weird thing in my home like maybe I live on a old nuclear testing site or something. And no, I am not that smart. Great idea, thanks!

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Tried that myself...it still shut off the screen. :-/
      Absolutely zero issues with my first Mk4 (purchased when it was released) but the newest (purchased when they had a recent sale) doesn’t play nice with the magnets, regardless of orientation.

I have the glow in the dark magnetic thermo condom, and have not noticed anything like you describe.

Comment

Nope, sorry but mine has worked just fine since day 1 with the boot on.

And sure enough, I bought a grey one on sale...not knowing the orange were headed that direction. >:-/ Had I known, I would have waited a week and picked up another orange. OTOH...the grey might be a decent "canvas" for a little airbrush action... LOL

Comment

Love my boot. No issues with mine. Other than getting the darn thing on.

Comment

Maybe they put the magnets in backwards?

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            I flipped ‘em over and had the same issue... Seems they may have changed something since I got my first Mk4.

I, too, have the glow in the dark boot. No problems encountered.

Comment

I have 3 glow in the dark boots for my 3 Thermapens, for about 5 years now, and none have acted wonky.

Comment

That’s strange , my only problem was to. Get the boot on properly so I could close it all the way. After that, no issued
              Last edited by Mojo0209; April 1, 2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I need to take a video of the issue, it's weird. Maybe where I stand with them on my deck is a Burmuda triangle kinda thing. My wife's cell phone goes in & out strangely too (but not mine). Now I'm starting to wonder...

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
                  Love my boot. No issues with mine. Other than getting the darn thing on.
                  Same here

Comment

Huskee For the record...my new grey Mk4 HATES the magnets in the boot. Slip it on and it shuts off. NEVER had that problem with my orange one. So I’m not sure what the issue is...different shielding perhaps..?

Since I really do like the orange one without the boot...because, well, I got orange for a reason. And the boot covers that up.
                    I removed one of the magnets from the boot, put it on the grey one...and it works just fine. Probably won’t have the same holding power but I set them on horizontal surfaces anyway.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So I'm not crazy. Good to know!

What color was the boot?

Comment

Huskee Check this out...
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1A2B2846-D6D3-444F-A77D-92D47D1D04BF.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1034348
                      That’s my original boot...the one that freaks out my new Thermapen...note that it has two magnets. Or rather, it did...I removed the top magnet because it kept shutting off my pen. >:-/

Click image for larger version

Name:	5C122377-8216-4CB3-9A49-7F50AC9FCD56.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1034349
                      This is from the ThermoWorks website... The Mk4 is on sale so obviously had I to look. LOL
                      Anyway, it only has one magnet now. Seems they’re aware of the issue as well.

Still makes me think it’s a shielding thing...that they probably cut out of the latest runs.

Comment

I noticed it would make my nice blue MK4 look ugly so I avoided it altogether.

Comment

• surfdog
                          surfdog commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, it definitely obscures the colours.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here