Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Cutting Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Cutting Boards

Looking for some help on wood cutting boards/butcher's blocks.
    From what I gather, end grain is the way to go for sure in terms of less of a beating on knives (as opposed to edge grain).
    On end grain, from what I've read - Walnut, Cherry or Maple seem to be the best types of wood to use.
    1 - Any disagreement on the above?
    2 - Should I get 2 of them - one for raw meat and one for everything else?
    3 - What are best sanitizing methods and preservation of them (I've seen mineral oil and bees wax as two primary recommendations out there)?

This is one provider I found that looked good: http://www.theboardsmith.com

Thanks for any and all help/advice.

The Boardsmith makes great boards. He had a few seconds a few weeks ago, so you could save a few bucks. Tests show that wooden boards have a slight anti- microbal property, but you should wipe with a damp soapy sponge and immediately dry. The board will have two sides - one for protein, and one for everything else.

There are lots of finishes available for cutting boards. I like a mixture of bees wax and mineral oil.

Comment

One is plenty. As Ron pointed out, wood has natural antimicrobial properties, so it’s actually safer than glass or plastic! A quick rinse with soap and water after cutting raw meat and you’re good to go!

Reasons to have two: having two sizes can be helpful. If you’re just slicing some small fruit you might not want to lug out the beast that holds a whole packer brisket. Also, if you have two people prepping food a second board really speeds up the process.

Your wood choices are spot on. Happy hunting!

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe walnut has the strongest antimicrobial properties of the above mentioned selections.

I like this one.

Shop premium wood cutting boards at The Boardsmith. Crafted with precision and attention to detail, our durable end grain boards are built to last a lifetime.

Comment

As for the grain: the general rule of thumb is that chopping blocks have end grain up (to lessen the wear on the chopping tools), while cutting boards typically have end grain to the left/right. But there are no steadfast rules, so go with your preferences.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I would think the harder end grain would necessitate sharpening a little more often.

IMO Boo’s Boards are some of the better boards made today. https://www.johnboos.com/Index.asp?s=r

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I see a tongue twister in there....

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee I see booze misspelled!

I have a big Boos board and love it! I choose the one with the deepest juice grove and it's the one i use for slicing briskets and large cuts of meat. It is heavy and my wife hates it for that reason. I use a product I bought off the Webstaurant store called board Elixir I think.

I also have about a dozen Epecurian boards that are made from a hard composite material. They are made locally and a friend worked there and he would bring me their seconds boards all the time. Also very nice boards but a bit expensive to buy. They have a outlet store not to far away I have to go visit soon but I'm good on boards tight now!

Explore Epicurean, a brand of Victorinox, for a wide range of cutting boards and kitchen utensils designed and manufactured in the USA.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          I live about an hour from their shop/store but it’s been years since I’ve been there. They usually have a side room that they keep the seconds and mess ups in for a heavy discount

This is one of my BillBoards, I make a number if designs. Let me.know if I can help
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful work, there, Bill!

Do ya have a catalog, or price list available?

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          ditto

This guy looks pretty good. I talked with him a couple of months ago, but I didn't buy because some other things came up. I still plan on buying from him.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...0710373294609/

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          I have one of Ed’s blocks. He went to college with my sister years ago. Really nice guy. His family has been making blocks for generations in eastern NC.

I have one of these. Excellent craftsmanship. https://www.jonescuttingboards.com/index.html

This one in particular: http://jonescuttingboards.com/store/...d_%232005.html

Attached Files

Comment

I got this one from a local restaurant supply store .

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190310_131831.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	668327

Comment

A good friend of mine built this board for me back in 2011. Great size: roughly 12" x 17". Simply elegant. I really like it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	board.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	668465

Comment

End grain boards? Maybe....but see this https://youtu.be/kd4vNcTvWnE. I make and use edge grain boards and they’re my preference. .

Comment

I am loving my Boos Block. I got a large one because I wanted to be able to cut briskets and the like on the board. I use the Boos Oil to maintain it. It is heavy, which I love.

I also like my cheap bamboo boards as well. I use them outside to cut on and place hot skillets on. They seem to last for a long time. The are not as nice as the Boos Boards, but they work fine.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3743.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	668566

Comment

• Texas Larry
                  Texas Larry commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spinaker that looks just like my BoosBlock. Love it likewise.

• Bkhuna
                  Bkhuna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have five boards. I big Boo's for breaking down primal cuts. A couple of medium for every day food prep, and two small bamboo ones because they were free. I like the little ones for cheese and stuff and will often use them to take cheese and meat snacks to the TV room.

I don't do this for a living, more just a hobby. My woodwork has been featured in many magazines and I've won numerous contests. My specialty is segmented wood turning, I've applied the technique to cutting boards. Here's an example of my segmented wood turning.
                Attached Files

Comment

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Absolutely gorgeous. Very impressed and jealous.

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beautiful work. My dad bless his did work like that. I miss him.

• MattTheGR8
                  MattTheGR8 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, that's amazing!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here