Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Cutting Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Cutting Board

A couple weeks ago while walking through our local farmers market I saw a gentleman with several different crafts made of wood. I noticed a small end grain cutting board maybe an 8”x10” about an inch thick.
    I started asking some questions about different items he had on display and asked if he ever done any custom work. He said he’s just started selling his items but would consider custom items depending what it was. So I asked if he could build me a nice Maple end grain cutting board at least 1.5” thick and 22x16 with a liquid rim.
    He stepped back and thought some then said he would build it but it would be expensive….I said a good board will last the rest of my life and can be passed down so I’m ok with expensive as long as the workmanship was good. He told me if I didn’t like it I didn’t have to take it.
    Fast forward 2 weeks and I get a message about the board, we were on vacation so my daughter picked it up.
    To say this is a first class board would be a lie. This thing is a mini chopping block top….it’s all end grain maple with built in handles and installed rubber feet and is 22”x16” and 1.75” thick.
    So for $150 I have an heirloom cutting board… Im kind of holding off using it because it so nice.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	51E6B324-61AA-4F68-8B4B-F6280C5F9155.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	1249578 Click image for larger version

Name:	335F132A-D417-4D97-920B-440CF5C66427.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1249579

(Mosca checks Dadof3Illinois location, aw man…)

Beautiful board!

Comment

Very nice indeed!

Comment

Only $150? A total steal. Just fabulous work there. 👏👏

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          That was going to be my comment as well.

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          I know….I was worried because I told him to build it and never talked price. When he called and said it was done and that he was sorry it was going to be $150…😂😂.

I live 45 mins from boos boards and like going there to look at their seconds…..this is a much better price and the workmanship would rival theirs.

Comment

Looking good, If the cutting board had 64 squares it could double as a chess or checkerboard too.

Comment

That’s a really nice looking board. Enjoy it, care for it, and it will, in fact, be an heirloom.

Comment

That really is a beautiful board! And the attention to detail, as you mentioned, cutout handles and the rubber feet! And I’m with you, I’d almost hate to use it. Good score! That guy could get $250. easy….all day long, IMO.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto on what he said, "really is a beautiful board!"

I can't believe $150 was what he meant by expensive. That really was a steal, and a work of art.

Comment

Very nice board and quite a deal too! Like you said he's just starting out, so you may want to get more boards made from him before he realizes what he could be making.

Comment

Gorgeous! I picked up a really nice one that I hired Spinaker to make for me. I know what you mean, those first knife marks might as well have been in my arm, it was painful. But you get over it, I think....

Comment

Great price for a very nice board.

Comment

That’s a beautiful board at any price but @ $150, it’s a keepsake. Out of curiosity, do you periodically rub your boards with food grade mineral oil then seal with bees wax?

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                        Dadof3Illinois commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Same as hoovarmin and have only used mineral oil. Sometimes I’ll use some 220 grit sandpaper to true it up.

• WayneT
                        WayneT commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep, I’ve sanded mine also after a couple years of use then slathered some mineral oil and bees wax on it. Can’t remember where I read about using bees wax but it made sense at the time.

• grantgallagher
                        grantgallagher commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I use beeswax on mine as well.

That is gorgeous.

Comment

Would he like to make some more? I bet he'd find a lot of customers here (including me)..

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                          Dadof3Illinois commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’m planning to see him at the farmers market on Saturday to see if he can make another one for a friend and I’ll make sure to ask if he would like me to spread the word.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here