Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Steel Pan - Merry Christmas to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Steel Pan - Merry Christmas to me

I'm asked every year - what should the kids get you for Christmas.
    Well, I have been researching carbon steel pans. We have a large steel, teflon pan that is starting to shed...
    I really like the 10" cast iron we have, but man is it getting heavy as I'm getting older.

Some Googling sent me to looking at carbon steel pans. Many of the frying/browning properties of cast iron, but lighter.
    Turns out many restaurants use carbon steel - durable, great browning but easier to handle than cast iron.After lots of looking around I settled on a Matfer Bourgeat 12 5/8 pan. Rated highly by the Cooks Illustrated staff.

We are having surf and turf on Christmas Eve so I convinced my wife that I needed to open the package and season it before it's first use. She agreed ;-)

Did the oil/salt/potato peel seasoning after scrubbing the shipping coating off (man, lots of Bar Keepers and elbow grease...)

Looks great! Ready for Christmas Eve

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191223_191128.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	782386Click image for larger version

Name:	20191223_191139.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	782387

Love carbon steel and that's nice pan. Needs bacon though

Comment

Ooooooh! You are gonna love it! I’ve had my first carbon steel for a few weeks and love it!

have fun cooking with that great pan!

Comment

Never cooked in carbon steel. Always use black iron, all clad, and occasionally a nonstick. What are the advantages over those three?

Comment

• parkerj2
          parkerj2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Once you get it seasoned it behaves like cast iron, just heats up quicker and is easier to handle due to lighter weight.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          If by black iron you mean cast iron, carbon steel pans are similar but react more quickly to heat changes. Seasoned, they're almost as good as a non-stick pan. You can get a lot of the same stuff in a stainless pan that has a quick reacting base material but you can't make those like non-stick since you don't season them. Non-stick.. well, a) when there coatings starts wearing, think about where it's been going (into your food) and b) it wears. Some specific uses (omelets) but, eh.

I have the same pan in the 10 inch version. Great pan to cook with. I love the welded handle as well. No bits of food get stuck around any rivets or anything like that.

Comment

That is a beauty!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations! I am expecting a carbon steel wok under the tree.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here