Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any favorite trays for carrying food to and from grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any favorite trays for carrying food to and from grill?

I have had a few, cheapo larger trays that I used to pack meat back and forth between the kitchen and the grill. Just did a very nice brisket and was letting the brisket rest indoors on my last tray...and bang, the heat caused it to crack in half. So now I'm hunting for new trays to use.

I'm looking for something in the 18x12 size range, pretty rigid, can tolerate hot foods from grill, some kind of lip around edge to contain juices that may leak, handles; maybe, food safe material. Would like to avoid the flimsy aluminum disposable pans.

Does the group have any thoughts? Recommendations? What are y'all using?

Aluminum 1/2 sheet pans either with a wire rack or a couple layers of foil. Cheap and versatile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4073.JPG
Views:	2122
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	618562

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually just use a nylon dish brush. Still a PITA, but it works. I've also got racks that are reserved for actually cooking on and others that just get used for cooling racks, air drying chicken, and such.

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack I use a coated grid wire rack that’s dishwasher safe. I have a good dishwasher and just throw it in there. Easy clean up!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Fill the pan with hot soapy water and flip the grid upsidedown. Then scub with the direction of the grid left to right and up and down in long strokes.

I often just use a baking tray, but a sheet pan works even better as they are a bit heavier construction.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I use sheet pans

You can pick them up in various sizes from Costco pretty cheap

Comment

Yep to all that was said, aluminum sheet pans and stainless racks. Fairly inexpensive, pretty much last indefinitely ....

Comment

Nordic full size sheet pans. The half sizes aren't nearly as useful but I have a bunch of them

Comment

I just use a food tray for prep and moving to and from smoker.

Comment

I use a large bamboo cutting board with a groove for juices and a USA PAN sheet pan. To bring in, either of those or a serving platter. For brisket, it'd be the cutting board.

Comment

If loading with 50lbs or more you really need #16 steel sheetmetal minimum. 14 guage with handles is my go too.
            Attached Files

Comment

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              You win!!!!!

• MeatMonster
              MeatMonster commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL - fantastic.

We have a couple of large white pieces of china ware?

Comment

Small stuff I just use the Corelle platter/serving dish. Larger cuts or more food the. Usually an aluminum pan I have prepped in or a sheet pan lined with foil.

Comment

I found these big, cheap plastic servers, they are great, they avoid dripping on the way to the smoker if you've injected, and loss of them juices on the way back!! That's a 6kg brisket on there so plenty big enough for every day smoking.

Name:	20181231_210021.jpg
Views:	2085
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	618843

Comment

I actually really like the Traeger plastic tray.

Comment

Totally forgot! I just got this for Christmas.

Name:	F066EC03-234F-41CD-BE30-93E96E5F101E.jpeg
Views:	2049
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	619099

Name:	581A67EA-86F4-4666-B9D5-1B7061028C4A.jpeg
Views:	2033
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	619100

Comment

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    16” x 7” (plus an inch for the edges)...

bottles are for reference

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Holy cow! That is one BIG spatula!

Oh Henderson......I feel like your time here is limited.

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hope Henderson is a fast reader. I'm seeing a pattern with some of the most recent trial members.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, yeah, but until they actually *violate the rules* by posting spam links, they are just an enthusiastic Trial member ya know? But yes, there are getting to be more & more of them lately for sure.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...aaaaand she's toast

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here