Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knife Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m with FireMan take them to a butcher then use a sharpener to keep them sharp, my bro was a butcher and he can sharpen anything, to the point that they are dangerous.

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I have a game plan. I am going to stop by the local Frost Cutlery shop and see what they can do with the old knives. I am going to ask the Frost guys to give me some stone lessons, and get one. Maybe find some zen in sliding the blade on those surfaces. I am going to invest in a new 8" chef's knife with a better handle because until I read @T-bone's post, I hadn't thought about the Chicago Cutlery handles - they are pretty slick when wet. Then we will go from there.

Thanks again for all if the responses. You peeps are da bomb.

Comment

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        Just wanted to point out IMO the Chicago Cutlery knives with wood handles do not get very slippery. Dishwashers are not very kind to the wood handles though so I try to wash my favorites by hand.

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        I always wash knives by hand...they get knocked around too much in the dishwasher and ding up the edge.

I have the chef choice sharpener, honing steels and all the other BS . Fact is , get your self a two sided whetstone 1000/3000
      nothing works better and last longer. NOTHING. I have tried it all. Now I only use the whetstone. Plenty of you tube vids out there on how to use. Its not rocket science to sharpen, heck if you can cook a brisket you can sharpen your own knives! Check out Burrfection you tube channel (not sponsored) good basic info. I also started with that Chicago cutlery way back when I got married (consumer reports recommended it) I literally just tossed the chefs knife out last night (no need for it,have several others)! If you want new knives do not by a set. Get a great chefs knife (like wustof classic or something japanesse) and a utility knife (or japanesse petty knife) that will take care of 90% of the needs--

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll second the whetstone.

I don't have any suggestions--just a tale.
      My dad became an independent insurance agent right after the war, when he came home from the Pacific. In those days, companies such as the Hartford or Lincoln etc, offered reward points to agents as incentives to write a policy with their company, much like airlines now offer points. My dad was successful, but said he never paid attention to the reward system. One day, he received a call from a company rep saying "Sir, do you realize you have a kazillion points?" Well, he used the points to take himself and my mother on a all-paid trip to Mexico.
      I was in my 20's and visited them soon after their return. My dad said he still had a hundred points left, and tossing me a rewards catalog, said pick something out for yourself. There was a set of Chicago Cutlery knives for a hundred points and as both my parents had imbued me with the importance/desire to cook, I chose the knives.
      Almost forty years later I still have that set. Over the years I've sharpened them by hand and also had them done professionally. The last fellow who sharpened them told me Chicago Cutlery has produced millions of knives over decades and when sharpened and cared for, are as solid kitchen utensil as you can wish for. My set is still in everyday rotation and using them brings memories from long ago. Modest knives with heirloom memories!

Comment

use code HSBBQ

get 40% off.

Comment

So here is where we have ended up with the knife saga. My wife got tired of waiting for me to make up my mind, so she bought a set of knives at Sam's after watching a demonstration a couple of weeks ago. They are not a very good set, but they are much sharper than the old Chicago Cutlery's. Here they are: Click image for larger version

Name:	20180922_123403.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	571222
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180922_123243.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	571223
          I am going to try and keep them sharp; I am also going to get the old knives sharpened.

Earlier today, I was in the local restaurant supply house to buy some food service grade gloves and I got to talking to the guy behind the counter about knives. He recommended the Victorinox 8" chef knife; he said it was pretty popular with the chefs around town. It was a pretty good deal at around $40.00, and it has a pretty big hard rubber or plastic handle that fits my hand, so I bought one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180926_175716.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	571224Click image for larger version

Name:	20180926_175708.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	571225

Comment

Good call on a Victorinox, they make some great knives, at a very reasonable price point...

Time will tell on th SS ones, I'd haveta think th SS handles could git slicker than deer guts on a doorknob, mebbe even greased owl$#¡+, but that's jus speculation...

Enjoy yer fine new cutlery, but don't fergit to show us how th ol, sharpened knives turn out!

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll do it. Haven't made it to Frost Cutlery to talk to those guys yet.

I worked on the kill floor of a local butcher shop, I used a three sided 12" oil stone and steel, also used carbon steel knives, would skin and cut 30 head per day by 2pm, 4 of us worked on the floor, 4 more worked the retail, still use oil stone and steel and carbon steel knives.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here