Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ChefsChoice knife sharpener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ChefsChoice knife sharpener

I have been using the KME knife sharpening system, which has done a great job, but found that it just takes too much time, so I didn't use it often enough.

I concluded that fzxdoc had the right approach to knife sharpeners. They have to be easy and work well.

I saw AR's gold medal review of the ChefsChoice sharpener and tried it out today. Nice and compact, quiet and a piece of cake to use. Put a great edge on our knives in just minutes!

Thank you yet again, Meathead ! FWIW, I concur with the gold medal rating.

I like my little electric sharpener. Not as upscale as yours, but sooooo sweet to use.

Comment

Just sliced some tomatoes. WOW. Can't remember our knives being so sharp, and I was really happy with the KME!
      Could be the first time I've used an electric.

Comment

I use the electric chefs choice for a 15° angle. Works wonderfully. I know need to get another for my wustoffs which has a 14° angle. The wustoff electric is made by chefs choice as well. I love my electric sharpener.

i have the Trizor model 15

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too! Great tool!

Thanks, richinlbrg , for the review of the Chefs Choice.

Every now and then I sidle up to the notion of getting an electric knife sharpener. I'm thinking to use it a couple of times a year and use my Cooks Illustrated-recommended (and very inexpensive) Accu-Sharp for as-needed, on-deck use.

Question: can the Chefs Choice be used on Shun knives? That's one thing the review did not specifically address was sharpening angle, as I recall.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't own a single one, richinlbrg . But I've been eyeballing a Shun chef's knife for a while now.

K.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I've used the 15 degree model on our Shun chef's and paring knives. My wife grimaced when she saw me do it, but was happy with the outcome, as was I.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know, EdF

fzxdoc Shun uses a Damascus steel sharpened to 16° I would highly recommend you find a sharpener with that exact angle. Which shun line are you eyeing? I would be happy to help.

if you were to buy a machine for home you would need to put a new edge on your knifes somthe electric sharpener will work correctly. It's not a big deal justvtakes a little while depending on the knifes you have and what angle they are at compared to the machine.

I did do that to my Henkle Four Stars I've had since 1995 or so and I love it.

Shun has also has a hammered finish line (Tsuchime) that you may not want to run through an electric machine.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, HouseHomey . I was looking at the hammered finish Tshchime 8" chef's knife from Williams Sonoma. I just learned this afternoon that I can get it sharpened for free at my local Williams Sonoma, so maybe I don't need a knife sharpener after all--at least for the Shun and it's little cousins-to-come. I also have my peepers on the Hikari 8" chef's knife.

I'll be going to Williams Sonoma tomorrow and see about handling the knives IRL and decide whether, for me, they're worth the investment. I just hope that I don't go wild tomorrow and come home with a paycheck's worth of knives. Hahaha. I'd have some explaining to do.

K.

Comment

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            MCS is going around!! Careful!!

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            You only live once, Kathryn!

Just get the one shun chef. Make sure it fits your hand. Once you get the right steel that actually holds an edge how comfortable it is is most important.

I have an old vg10 steel chef knife from ikea that is almost as good as my shun chef and is was 1/5 the price.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Love that!!!!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh sure. I'm only going to get one chef's knife, but want to see how each model handles IRL before making the purchase. Right now I still enjoy using my Victorinox 8" chefs knife, so a Shun will have to beat that.

K.

fzxdoc try the Ikon from Wustoff too. You won't be disappointed. The Global is very light and thin as well.

Comment

I got the trizor 15 and it’s better than average. The final edge is decent and definitely useable. I had trouble getting small paring knives in there to sharpen the heel of the blade well.

Still prefer my sharpmaker system which is gentler, more precise, foolproof and versatile ( can do serrated blades with the v rods and hooks, scissors, etc). I touch up every few weeks with this and go a year. I actually use it on scissors and shears almost as much as the knives. I can make any blade shave with this thing. If you need to remove more material it’s a bit too tedious, but that’s rare.

if I need to reprofile the back bevel (every year or so or if I have something new that needs re work) I like the worksharp belt system for that since on the one I have (Ken onion edition) I can set the precise angle) and it’s fast but gentle, depending on the belts you use).

Key is to set the back bevel to the type of type of knife and how it was made and the secondary bevel slightly more obtuse than that.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
              fzxdoc try the Ikon from Wustoff too. You won't be disappointed. The Global is very light and thin as well.
              I looked at the Wustoff Global and Ikon both as well as the Shun Classic and Shun Premiere yesterday. Thanks for those Wustoff recommendations, HouseHomey . It was good for comparisons.

Looked at several others in the Williams Sonoma store's collection as well. I like the Shun Classic best. It's light (but not too) and fits my hand like it was made to nestle in there.

I tried to purchase the Shun Classic 8 inch Chef's Knife, but Williams Sonoma only had the demo model which they said they'd sell to me for 10% off. I backed off of that offer. I'll order it online instead. The woman clerk kept trying to convince me to get the 6 inch Classic Chef's knife instead, saying that it was more suited to a woman's smaller hands. It just didn't feel right. I've always used an 8" chef's knife.

I'm excited, though, that I found the knife that suits me best. Yay!

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice going. That fit and feel is SOOOOO important and you likely would regret the purchase if "it just didn't feel right." I use the 10" Ikon and the ikon line. I like the counter balance for repetitive motion. Dicing a 6" hotel pan of peppers is no fun. I am excited for your purchase. I'm sure you'll love it!

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, HouseHomey !

I've got a Miyabi Chef's knife that I had been using a Wustof sharpener. It always worked well but I decided to order the Miyabi branded sharpener that has the proper angle. Makes such a difference it's incredible!

Comment

A video I watched last year from Burrfection on hand sharpening stated that everyone is concerned about achieving the perfect angle and why most will give up on sharpening by hand, he stated that the precise angle was over exaggerated and you should concentrate more on getting a even edge. So this morning with nothing to do at work i did some calculations to see how much of a difference there was between a 15 degree and a 16 degree edge. I used for a example of 1/8 inch edge as I don't use my knives at work and could not say what the actual length is, but the difference between the two angles came out to .0005 , that roughly equals a single hair strand split into 4 pieces. Now after looking at my Dalstrong knives the edge is around a 1/16 long which would make that dimension come out even less. The only mechanical way I know of to achieve this accuracy would be a sine plate and surface grinder as it would be next to impossible to achieve this with any type of sharpener being mechanical or by hand. So it comes down to is the best knife sharpening system is what works for you and how much of a effort you are willing to put into it. I know my Dalstrongs are not Shuns but for what I have into them I would never allow a electric sharpener on them, learning to sharpen by hand is not difficult or lengthy time wise and your knives will last much longer in the long run due to less material being removed. If you can teach yourself to cook a mouth watering brisket on your cookers then you can learn how to sharpen by hand.😀

P.S. The harder the steel in your knives the more specialized the wheel has to be to be able to cut the steel
                Last edited by customtrim; June 26, 2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good thoughts. Thanks!

K.

customtrim I do not doubt you technical expertise but riddle me this..... can you tell the difference in the smoke flavorr of apple, hickory and cherry? Can you note the difference in a pork butt cooked on your performer with 4 and 5 hours of wood smoke. The difference between 135° and 136° on your fatty ribeyes. The difference between a Higher quality "Choice" and a "Prime" that just made the grade?

While understanding your great explanation (im not being a smart arse) do you agree with the statement "We eat with our eyes first?" That same logic can be applied to the shopping method for products and how we feel about our purchase. Wanting the ideal products for a major purchase is not unreasonable.

i stand behind a cutting board for 8-10 hours a day. My lower quality knifes were taken to a 15° angle and I usually had the best knifes (sharpness) in the house. I use a 14° (as stated by the manufacturer) and a better quality knife now.

I GUARANTEE you sir I notice the difference after 10 hours. Perhaps I don't necessarily notice the angle V the overall balance, functions and quality but the difference is duly noted.

Products behave differently beacause of multiple things, variables and features. All of which make up the overall product and allow them to be different from other.

Ive had my Henkles "Four Star" since the mid 90's perhaps at my 130th birthday I'll have to buy a new knife.

Sometimes its ok to eat with your eyes first.

Comment

HouseHomey The only point I was trying to get across was that the manufacturers of knife sharpeners can state that they produce accurate angles in there devices, when in reality it is impossible for them to do what they state due to all of the variables that need to be considered and it is next to impossible for anyone person to check to see what the angle actually is. Nothing more which is why I stated that the best sharpening system is what works for you and if it makes you happy with the results. You can take a 5 dollar radiata knife and can make it cut paper or a lawn mower blade. Just dont believe all the hype that they put into marketing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here