Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knife sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife sharpening

How do you guys sharpen. I got this awesome tool from work sharp a few years back and its done me solid ever since. I used to use a fixed angle kit from lansky but this is so much easier and quite honestly gets better results imo.
    Attached Files

I like my electric but I plan to get one of these. They use this at work for good reason. You still need to set a good edge from the get go, but this would help to tune things up while trimming brisket.

Comment

• CRO
      CRO commented
      Editing a comment
      So this takes the place of the steel to realign the blade? Quick and easy.

To each his own. There is a bevy of sharpener dojiggies to get the job done. There are favorites of many here in the Pit, since a sharp knife is pretty serious business when it comes to food, in particularly meat. What ever works for you, or search & you will find something.
    Personally I use sharpening stones. It’s old school & takes a little more time than some device. But, I am old school & enjoy the hands on approach.
    Most important, keep yer knives sharp!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1594.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	491600

Comment

• CRO
        CRO commented
        Editing a comment
        My Shuns don't go into the electric sharpener. I only use the steel for those.

CRO, just a little thought. I have discovered that the Japanese knives are harder than the Germans, Rockwell 60 & above. Where the German knives are 58 & lower. I read where a strop & good compound works a little better. I use a steel on my Wusthofs.

Comment

• CRO
        CRO commented
        Editing a comment
        I've read that too. I have JA Henckels as my main set, which I'll pass through the electric every month or so and keep them tuned up with the steel. I never use the Shuns for bone cutting, they are super sharp for prep work.

• CRO
        CRO commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW, how do you like the Pack's draft yesterday?

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t know much about who they picked , but it sounds like they addressed some big problems. Everybody is also talking about the slick moves bu the new GM & how they wouldn’t have happened last year. Time will tell. I just hope they take advantage of having Rodgers while they can. It’s been a bit of a waste recently.

im a giants fan so im just not gonna talk about it. i have a set of calphalon katana series that was a wedding present. not what i would have picked but they are pretty damn solid. they hold an edge and are fairly resistant to burrs. all the others in the pic are just clutter outside the fish knife, 10" henckel chefs, and slicer, that i like to keep sharp just cause i have them.

I have found the work sharp to be the best balance of sharp and time though.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        i dunno man. in todays nfl taking a RB at #2 is tough, you have to nail it. they could have def traded down and still got barkley if he was their guy.

• CRO
        CRO commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a Packer fan,but the Giants and the Steelers are my 2nd favorite teams. Love the history! Plus Lombardi got his start with NYG.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Go Big Blue! Saquon is gonna be awesome. Just wait and see. He will make everybody better. I don't think I would have done it, but he's s generational talent. He's a G-man and we've got to show him the love. It will only really suck if Darnold gets the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS a Lombardi AND we end up in QB Hell.

I use the sharp maker 99% of the time. I have some water stones and a couple knives I care about that I take the time for when needed. otherwise it's hard to ignore the good and quick work that little machine makes of the job.

Comment

I sharpen using the edge of a unicorn hoof!

No​ wait, that's not right.... I use one of these, it's simple and effective!

Comment

• MeatMonster
          MeatMonster commented
          Editing a comment
          I envy you being over there! Access to so much cool BBQ kit and consumables we can't get over here! Happy smoking see you around the pit!

Texastweeter - LOL!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea well single malt scotch costs an arm and leg over here, I'll trade you !!!!

• MeatMonster
          MeatMonster commented
          Editing a comment
          Deal! Troutman!

So many options, especially for getting the angles correct the first time. If you get that right then maintaining the edge is a breeze. I personally have a variety for that including a Tormek, several belt sanders, and grinder wheel setups but they need to be used in the shop because they take up a bit of space. I also like the Edge-Pro system which I can setup in the house when needed.

Comment

For sharpening edge tools, I use abrasive paper from 100-2000 grit stuck to a large ceramic tile. For everyday (kitchen) knives i use a 2 stage electric sharpener. For my expensive Chinese made Japanese steel single bevel knives, I use a 1000/6000 double sided water stone although they rarely need sharpening, or even honing, since I only cut veggies with them.

Comment

I was so excited to get the Work Sharp for Christmas this year @grantgallagher (I asked for it) but cannot master the darn thing? Are you using the progression of belts or are you sticking to one? Also, how much are you sharpening freehand versus using the guides? I have a virtually new set of Gunter Wilhelm knives and just cannot get them as sharp as I had hoped. I blame myself.

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              I use the 20 degree guides and run 3 times on the medium belt then 5 times on the fine belt. Almost never do freehand unless there is something that just doesnt fit or make sense. Never had anything but great results. Literally shave your arm hair sharp...thats usually my test.

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              I run the work sharp ( pro version ) at 12 degrees per side then finish on the sharpmaker at 30 inclusive.

For utility blades I’ll go wider but I always do the back bevel with the worksharp and the final bevel by hand at a slightly more obtuse angle.

• allsid
              allsid commented
              Editing a comment
              Guess I have some owners manual reading to do!

I use the Edge-Pro. It can do knives, chisels, and scissors.

Comment

Here is how I have started to sharpen my knives.
              I use water stones - a combination 1000/6000 and a 3000/8000 stone. The small stone is a Nagara 8000 grit stone meant to keep the 1000/6000 and 3000/8000 clean, flat and add some fine slurry for the polishing on the 6000 or 8000 grit.
              The thing on the top is a homemade stropping block with leather glued to an oak base.

I received a beautiful Yashirio VG10 Damascus knife for Christmas. Very strong steel, well balanced, very thin and incredible sharpness.
              I decided to learn how to hand sharping knives. I am getting the hang of it! I started with a Cutco chef knife and put a really clean, sharp edge. I then moved to a nice Chicago Cutlery chef knife. It is my goto in the kitchen. I also spent time on a low cost fillet knife. Put a nice edge on that as well.
              They are all very sharp, no burrs, clean cutting.

I trimmed a full packer this past weekend with the newly sharpened fillet knife. It went through the fat cap and harder fats like a hot knife through butter - what a pleasure!

Here is a good YouTube video from a young guy that I have been taking tips/lessons from:

Husband, father, knife and sharpening enthusiast, constantly experimenting, exploring knife sharpening techniques. Providing fair, and unbiased reviews and comparisons and knives, cutlery, whetstones, and sharpening accessories. See my latest reviews first at https://burrfection.com/ My Trusted E-store https://bur.re #1278161

Name:	20180429_184204.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	491900

Some knives:

Name:	20180429_185602.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	491901

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Is that one on the right the Yashirio? And yeah that kid really knows his stuff. It’s most interesting to see him grow.

• JGrana
                JGrana commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, FireMan, that is the Yashirio. Great knife - so thin yet so strong.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm with you brother, been sharpening knives all my life with stones and steels.

There's a Tormek sitting boxed up on a pallet rack that I've yet to use myself.

A long time ago I came across an Accusharp. It's handy enough to pull out of the drawer for a quick sharpen any time I use a knife.

Comment

I use Shapton water stones in 1000/5000/8000 grit. About 5-6 years ago I threw away everything I thought I knew about sharpening knives and re-learned using the methods of Murray Carter. I'm still learning. All my knives are cheap and probably not anything a chef would choose, but they are good steel that will hold an edge if I do my job of creating it. And I use a steel for touching up the edge during use.

When friends are helping cook at my house, I usually hear something like "Your knives are REALLY sharp!" But none of those folks are chefs or blade experts - my knives are sharp compared to what they've got in their drawer at home, not as sharp (or consistent) as they could be.

I'm happy with my results, but it's not for everyone.

Comment

• Histrix
                  Histrix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Murray Carter is the man!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here