Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grill grate fit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grill grate fit question

So for christmas i got a grill grate set for my weber Q300 grill. i've used them a few times and i like the way they cook, but they are cut so loosely from the edge of the grill that they slider ALL OVER the place when i am trying to clean them or move around food sometimes. it's really frustrating. is this a common thing with these custom cuts? do people have a solution to this that i haven't read about?

They should fit flush. I would contact Brad at Grill Grate and see what he has to say. I am sure he will be more than happy to help you.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker, Good Advice, IMLTHOP❗️ It Sounds Like DeusDingo May Have Recieved a Set of GrillGrates to Fit On Top of His Existing
      Factory Grates❗️ The Young Lady at GrillGrates and I Had Several
      Conversations and I Nearly Wore My Tape Measure Out Double Checking Sizes for My 2010 Used Broil King 4 Burner Comercial Series❗️ When They Arrived The 5 Panel Kit Fit Perfectly‼️ Dan

I have a similar situation. I didn't order the sear kit package when I purchased my Yoder 640. I already had several GrillGrates of various sizes and three of them were for a 5 burner gas grill. I figured those would be plenty long enough. I was wrong. They are about an inch too short. I plan on having a "grate frame" made out of some angle iron that the GrillGrates will set in. The frame will have the pieces of angle iron on the long side of the GrillGrates long enough so the angle iron won't move too much from front to back. I'll have the shorter pieces welded on to the longer pieces of angle iron at a position so the GrillGrates won't move much from side to side or front to back. I don't have a welder, so I'm not sure when I'll get this done, but should be much cheaper than a new set of GrillGrates. Not sure if I explained that too well, so if anybody has questions, please let me know.

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      JimLinebarger, why wouldn't steel work for the frame around the GrillGrates?

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Welding dissimilar metals (anodized aluminum/steel) together would be an issue; the weld would be weak/brittle. Also bolting the aluminum grates to the metal frame would cause galvanic corrosion. Would have to put a neutral spacer between the metal and the grates that can take the heat.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      JimLinebarger I wasn't planning on welding the GrillGrates to the frame or bolting them to the frame. The GrillGrates would just be sitting in the frame. Not sure if I did a good job explaining it.

What Spinaker said.

Comment

DeusDingo It sounds like you have the grill grates in top of the Weber grates. If you bought a replacement set they are custom cut to replace the factory grates, and sit down in the grill such that it will be unable to slide around.

Comment

I had the opposite issue with my custom Grill Grates. I measured too exactly so that they fit very close. Then when I heated them up they expanded and started forcing my Blaze grill to expand. While they were hot I could not remove them. I had to stop and let them cool then cut about .25" more off each grate. Now they fit and have slight movement even when blazing hot (no pun intended but it worked).

Comment

these are custom cut but they are meant to fit on top of the existing grates. unfortunately, the way the Q300 holds up the cast iron grates is with just a couple of metal tabs and the grill grates would not likely be able to hold on very well with that system, i am sure. and the lid cannot close all the way with the grill grates pushed to the edge of the grill one way or the other.

so it seems like, with that i have, this is the expected behavior. i was just wonder if someone had a good idea to keep them from sliding around.

i'll contact brad and see if he has any suggestions

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            DeusDingo, Now You're Cooking, DD‼️ I Would About Wager a $ Against a Plugged Nickel They Can Help You❗️
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Maybe you can attached them to your existing grate that came with the grill with stainless steel bolts and nuts.

Comment

• DeusDingo
            DeusDingo commented
            Editing a comment
            i had thought about that but it makes it hard to flip them for searing. i had also thought about bolts to set up bumpers to keep it in place, mostly

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            I watch a video not long ago of a guy cooking at a steak cookoff and he had his GGs attached to the stock grate.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here