Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Outdoor Cook Carbon Steel Skillet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Outdoor Cook Carbon Steel Skillet

Cooked breakfast outdoors this morning with my new Lodge Carbon Steel 12" Skillet. Fantastic morning!

Menu
    Red Potato Home fries cooked in bacon grease
    Bacon bits
    Italian Sausage
    Cheddar Cheese
    Egg

Method

Bacon and potatoes

Started 3/4 chimney of Royal Oak charcoal
    Put 30 lit briquettes in Smokey Joe. When cooking this way I always keep about 8 - 10 lit briquettes in the bottom of chimney. This way I always have lit fuel to start the next batch of charcoal.
    Cut off a hunk of frozen bacon and put it in the cold CS skillet
    Cooked bacon all the way
    Removed bacon and extra grease. Left about 2 - 3 table spoons in skillet.
    Knocked ash of off briquettes
    Sprinkled Wegmans Tuscan Seasoning on 1 large, one small cubed Red Potatoes
    Added potatoes to skillet and rolled, turned, and flipped them until completely covered in grease
    Put CI cover on top of skillet and added 8 pieces of charcoal in a circle on top of the lid
    Covered for 4 minutes
    I thought the temp on the skillet was a little low so I added 12 lit briquettes to the Smokey Joe
    Flipped the potatoes then covered again for another 4 minutes
    Added 4 more briquettes to lid
    Removed cover, flipped and turned potatoes often until golden brown and soft in the middle
    Took the bacon cooked earlier, crumbled it and added it back to the potatoes for a minute or two
    Removed potatoes and bacon

Sausage

Added 12 more
    Added three Italian Sausage patties sprinkled with MH American Chili Powder
    Cooked for 5 minutes per side
    Added slice of cheddar cheese to each patty
    Covered until cheese was nice and melty
    Stacked the patties on top of each other

Egg

Removed the sausage grease except just enough to coat pan
    Cracked the egg into the skillet. Sprinkled it with a bit of Tuscan Seasoning and fried it for a few minutes, flipped it and removed it in about thirty seconds
    Put the egg on top of the potatoes

Way too much food so I will look forward to left overs!

The result was very good. I am going to love this skillet. It heats quicker and is lighter than my CI.

What I would do next time. Since it was 36 degrees I would start with 40 briquettes in the Smokey Joe. I usually only have to keep covered for 4 - 5 minutes one time but had to keep a cover on it longer this morning. And that's it!

Frozen Smoke FireMan Spinaker
    Last edited by Mudkat; February 18, 2018, 11:45 AM.

Looks great! Leftovers? Do you forget you have friends here that haven't had breakfast yet?

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Hehe! Good point!

I never eat breakfast, but, id eat that!!!!

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      It was pretty much lunch time by the time I ate it anyway.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      then count me in!

Cool, love the video! I'm keen on getting a carbon steel pan too. Might have to do some online shopping.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Forge your own! You know you want too.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      I third that motion Henrik ! Forge on!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha! I do! It would be super cool to get the anvil out and start smithing!

Awesome stuff!

Comment

That looks good enough to eat.

Comment

This could be on the menu for Sunday morning at the river trip HawkerXP

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          You had me at bacon grease.

That’s awesome, I saw something very similar to that at Bass Pro Shops when I was buying a meat slicer.

Comment

Nice job, brother! That was awesome. I love the video. Great first cook brother!

Here was my first on the carbon steel skillet. A little purge reduction on XMAS. Your's was a lot better.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3668.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	456501

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Ironman!

Beautiful!

Comment

I was looking into getting that very one but some reviews stated that theirs warped immediately. But it is 12 gauge steel right? I bought the 12" dual loop handle CI instead for my 22" Weber. I really like my carbon steel wok and wanted the lighter weight for a skillet for outside cooking. So guess I will need to ALSO get one. The MCS/GAS thing.
            I found that WebstaurantStore has Lodge stuff cheaper than Lodge and even Amazon most of the time.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              After using SS and Swiss Diamond (which is so restrictive to use - only med heat - and scratches easily) I find myself going back to my CI skillets and CS woks. Non-stick is overrated and CI and CS are easy to make them non-stick and they are easy to clean. They are just heavy.

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              I second that Jim. Who wants to eat the non stick stuff with their food?

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't know the caloric value of non-stick PTFE, but for those of us watching our weight (mine is coming more in focus with my peripheral vision) it;s just one thing less to worry about.

Well, Mudkat, you inspired me to pull the trigger. Just bought a De Buyer Mineral Pro B. Can't wait to get it. The Pro version has a better handle and works at higher temps (typically you can put the whole pan in the oven). Very reasonably priced still, it costs what I usually pay for an ordinary no-thrills non-stick pan.

I look forward to breaking it in and frying my first burger in it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	de_buyer_mineral_b_pro.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.3 KB ID:	457134

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful pan Henrik! Can't wait to see your burger and all the other things you'll do with it.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Got it today, will soon break it in. Love the weight of it. Rock solid 'feel'.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here