Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast iron question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast iron question

I have a question for those that use cast iron a lot. I have a Char-Broil Grill2Go it will go very hot very quickly. If I use a cast iron skillet on there to revers sear stakes will it ruin the seasoning of the pan? I heard somewhere that you should not use real high heat on cast iron.
    Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Dave

Let’s see if we can summon the CI guru.
    Oh Spinaker

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      lol

How hot are you talking, I sear in cast iron all the time.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      It will go over 600°F very quickly
      Dave

Cast iron seasoning will survive very high heat up too about 700 F. Because of the excellent conductive heating you get will cast iron, you really don't need to go that high to achieve an excellent sear. I usually shoot for about 500 F -600 F. Cast iron retains heat so well, you don't loose nearly as much heat when you are adding meat, like you do with a thin metal pan. However, if you are going 700+ F, you can damage your seasoning. If this happens simply add oil and wipe it as it cools and it should recover.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah they will go higher, I just don't know that it is needed. 850 F is ripping! EdF Extreme sear city!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes, you just gotta get ripped!

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      I only get ripped with bourbon.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here