Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Pan - what should be my first dish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Pan - what should be my first dish?

Just got my Lodge 15 inch carbon steel pan and I'm trying to decide what to make in it. I already thought of Paella, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4230.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1335956

Isn't potato peels, oil, and salt the first thing you're supposed to cook in it? 🤪

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds delicious!

• bmillin
      bmillin commented
      Editing a comment
      I did that with my carbon steel pan as recommended by the manufacturer and it was a complete waste of time. Ended up stripping it and proceeding as if it was cast iron, worked out great.

That thing is just begging for a frittata. Stovetop to oven is where this excels. Or maybe Island Pork Tenderloin. Also stove to oven. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...lad-108103/amp

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooh! Hadn't thought about Frittata! Thanks, Jim!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that Island pork recipe! It’s the bomb! I need to get some tenderloins and do it soon…

Pizza? Scrambled eggs with a little cream cheese?

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, this is what I was hoping for!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      If you make the scrambled eggs with cream cheese AND add some smoked salmon I'd be extremely happy for you!!!

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      Pizza gets my vote...

Spinach, yellow onion, goat cheese and bacon...

bacon.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      That will work

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Bacon with a capital B. Yessir.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Did someone say BACON??

I have a similar pan that I did mac & cheese in, got a nice crusty/crunchy bottom along with a toasted top......................yum.

Name:	preaux grate mod 05.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1335990

Name:	double crispy mac n cheese.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1335991

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Lordy b'gordy that looks fab

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. My wife would go absolutely ape crazy over that. Looking good.

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice...

Man I want one of those - is it flat? I mean, is it FLAT?

I bought one, sent it back because it was horrendously domed in the center, couldn't even imagine trying to cook something liquid or semi-liquid in it.

Bought another from Wayfair, one of those "Gotham steel" copper-looking things, 15" pan, it's terribly domed, as well. Wife uses it for various things, but the most common is bacon and it is impossible to get it cooked evenly. Between our induction cooktop having a small center element (despite the obviously misleading large concentric circle pattern painted on it making you think the element is very large and 'self-sizing'), the bacon comes out fully cooked and crispy on one half, while the portion that rests toward the edges is obviously undercooked and floppy. Really disappointing.

I've tried to get her to use the cast iron, but even that doesn't distribute the heat outwardly evenly enough to cook things in an even manner. I think our center element is probably no larger than 6". <sigh> And, she hates the weight, so she won't use the CI, anyways.

BTW, the first one I bought and sent back immediately was this BK Black Steel Seasoned Carbon Steel Paella Pan, 15". Really, really badly domed.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Flat as a pancake, Danny!

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Buy an Asian portable butane burner. Buy a heavier pan. Cast iron would be a great choice.

I fought the thin metal on flat-top stove war and gave up. Those portable gas tables are very useful.

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      Try getting these results on a flat pan...
      Bet you can't.

What you have is special... Two way bacon!

Pialla (or however you spell it) or maybe a seared and roasted chicken. Can't go wrong with chicken fried steak or blackened river kitty.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      "blackened river kitty" are those catfish?

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yessir, blackened channel catfish.

Paella!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

A frozen pizza or an egg dish so you can see the nuances with nothing too elaborate.

Comment

Great looking pan. Gratz on the purchase. I’m sure anything you cook in it will be delicious. The entire culinary world is at your disposal.

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier They dome those pans on purpose, and Induction is the reason. Basically if you dump too much heat into the pan too fast it'll warp and you'll get a spinner. People just turn the heat up to high, or whatever, and on induction the metal heats so fast that it warps. My Lodge 12" carbon steel skillet has a pretty good dome, but If I preheat it slowly it mostly evens out.

Comment

Mmmm... Paella...
            Last edited by Steve R.; November 30, 2022, 07:29 AM.

Comment

One egg, over easy.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Or upside down as my good friend would say.

Diced potatoes, onions, peppers, sausage and eggs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here